Folder recommendations

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I’m after a budget folder. Must be able to cope with at least 14% gradient hills and must have disc brakes (certainly at the front). Would prefer torque sensor. Quite happy to put a fair amount of effort in myself. It’s for transport and I’m a busy person so want to get from a to b with moderate speed. I have a TSDZ2 powered mountain bike conversion that is great but it does not fold. The roads around here are rough and potholed but I’m not especially heavy. Because i don’t drive i want the flexibility of a bike i can stuff in friend’s boots or in a push put in a bag and take on a bus. I have a Tern but i don’t think it’s a good donor option due to frame problems. Would consider a steel Dahon but not sure about disc variants with steel frames. A hub folder isn’t my preferred option but as Ii have the mountain bike for longer rides it may be ok. Woosh Rambaletta with a torque sensor BB might work if Woosh sells such a thing?

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Sticking the bike in a boot is mainly to keep it safe when out for a few beers with mates in town. Still plan to cycle to and from home. My local ‘city’ (Wells) isn’t a big crime hub but still not keen on leaving a bike locked up outside at nightfall. May occasionally cycle to bus stop if I ever need to go into the office, but trying to avoid darkening my employers door as much as possible. In the daytime I’m less worried if I need to go to the Drs or supermarket.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Which Dahon bag do you have? I was and remain somewhat tempted by this Dahon rucksack. Unsure how long it'll last lugging around my 22.4kg bike with battery. With the handbag style El Bolso bag pictured above, at least I can carry the battery separately in my rucksack, along with helmet and other stuff... but I could get a compact folding holdall for all that.

It’s a padded zip up bag with an over shoulder strap but not rucksack style. Adequate to carry on and off a bus but not ideal for a hike…

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Which Dahon bag do you have? I was and remain somewhat tempted by this Dahon rucksack. Unsure how long it'll last lugging around my 22.4kg bike with battery. With the handbag style El Bolso bag pictured above, at least I can carry the battery separately in my rucksack, along with helmet and other stuff... but I could get a compact folding holdall for all that.

I'd love to see a video of you trying to get your bike in that bag. I'm feeling a bit down because we trolls have no friends. I could do with a laugh.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It’s a padded zip up bag with an over shoulder strap but not rucksack style. Adequate to carry on and off a bus but not ideal for a hike…
I considered buying one like that, but I needed compact lightweight and crushable, for my rucksack perpetually filled with things - the El Bolso only weighs 700g. The material feels fairly strong but if it rips, I reckon I can patch it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd love to see a video of you trying to get your bike in that bag. I'm feeling a bit down because we trolls have no friends. I could do with a laugh.
Pretty easy at home, less so when at large and in a hurry. You might be the only one even vaguely interested in such a dull video, and I'll never achieve my dream of becoming a billionaire Youtube sensation. It'd be even duller than my usual dull as dishwater videos. Here are the destructions. Mine arrived with a second large orange drawstringed bag with a small slit over the top, presumaby for the seat to poke out through. Probably a shower cap.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I considered buying one like that, but I needed compact lightweight and crushable, for my rucksack perpetually filled with things - the El Bolso only weighs 700g. The material feels fairly strong but if it rips, I reckon I can patch it.
When I’ve used it in the past I’ve folded it up into a 40l rucksack on my back. It’s light but a bit bulky. As I say, not planning to use it much so I’ll live with it. Of course a much cheaper option is to buy an old mountain bike with low gears I can puttle up the hill with on the way back from the pub. If it gets stolen then not a massive deal….

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When I’ve used it in the past I’ve folded it up into a 40l rucksack on my back. It’s light but a bit bulky. As I say, not planning to use it much so I’ll live with it. Of course a much cheaper option is to buy an old mountain bike with low gears I can puttle up the hill with on the way back from the pub. If it gets stolen then not a massive deal….
For sub 8 mile round trips, my "bargain" £72 ebay purchase of a 26" wheeled Dahon Espresso folding bike, was supposed to be a bike I wouldn't worry much about if stolen. It's scratched up and looks the part... but after buying and scavenging all the parts to renovate it cheaply, the project is in the doldrums because I really don't want to be huffing and puffing up the hill I live on without electrical assistance. It's been my on bike stand for months, because I can't work up the requisite enthusiasm. Also fits inside the Dahon El Bolso bag, but not with the Helios.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Will have a sleep on it. My honest opinion is that the Rambletta is the one of the best options at its price point and the most suitable for my needs. I have bought from Woosh before (TSDZ2 kit) and they were easy to deal with and quick to sort out a minor issue. I still can't get very excited about the bike though. Not sure I like the step through frame but I think that is just me being silly. I have a general aversion to folders though, not really specific to this bike - but they are practical! Thank you everyone for your help, and in particular thanks to Woosh for lots of info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Pretty easy at home, less so when at large and in a hurry. You might be the only one even vaguely interested in such a dull video, and I'll never achieve my dream of becoming a billionaire Youtube sensation. It'd be even duller than my usual dull as dishwater videos. Here are the destructions. Mine arrived with a second large orange drawstringed bag with a small slit over the top, presumaby for the seat to poke out through. Probably a shower cap.

Where does it say in the instruction to remove all the lights, arms and other things that stick out all over your bike? Is it on page 3?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Where does it say in the instruction to remove all the lights, arms and other things that stick out all over your bike? Is it on page 3?
It's written in lemon juice on the other side. But not necessary, because it all folds over/in or swivels etc. It's why I can't have a Zefal Dooback II end-bar mirror on the right hand side, mut be a Zefal Cyclop, because of how my Helios handlebar folds over. The right hand side Dooback's mirror got whacked and deformed by the left hand side pedal. I preferred the Dooback - less adjustment needed, bigger mirror. I might replace the Cyclop with a Dooback despite the risk of folding damage, and be more careful with pedal positioning.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Still thinking about this but I have found a solution for my nights out in town. I have started locking my bike up in the covered porch area directly outside the police station that has CCTV and police at hand. Feels like a thief would be taking an unnecessary risk trying to steal my bike from there

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Still thinking about this but I have found a solution for my nights out in town. I have started locking my bike up in the covered porch area directly outside the police station that has CCTV and police at hand. Feels like a thief would be taking an unnecessary risk trying to steal my bike from there
I haven't seen a cop on the beat for ages. Don't all cops stay indoors filling out forms these days?

There's only one folding bike I would be interested in converting next:

CENSORED

Steel frame, and some have 135mm rear dropouts - earlier models didn't. Seems ideal for a seriously powerful rear hub motor to be dropped into, with no spreading required. Similar geometry to my Helios, therefore "250W" Bafang BBS01B is also an option. Or both, if 500w becomes legal, and the rear hub motor is also rated "250W". Rare as hen's teeth, I've only seen one for sale in 3 years. I was in two minds as to whether to draw attention to this bike, because doing so risks increasing competition if another one ever turns up. Hopefully this post will be forgotten, or I might delete it very soon.

Steel framed, so perhaps disc brake mounting points could be welded on? Always wondered how well that works out long term.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
haven't seen a cop on the beat for ages. Don't all cops stay indoors filling out forms these days?
And that’s perfect as they are sat in the window looking out at my bike and ready to jump into hot fuzz mode when they hear the angle grinder

I am considering a Carrera Intercity 8 speed conversion. Not steel

it does have disc brakes though and is cheap and I have blue light card discount as well. Either with another TSDZ2 or a bafang mid-drive. Would need to put a bigger chainring on the TSDZ2 than Woosh will warranty so would probably swap my existing motor that is already out of warranty anyway. 44t may just work as I like to spin the pedals fast and this isn’t supposed to be a speed machine.

I would like to encourage mrs BM onto a bike and a very sit up and beg folder may work. I think she would want more assistance than me so a Bafang may make sense…

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And that’s perfect as they are sat in the window looking out at my bike and ready to jump into hot fuzz mode when they hear the angle grinder
Form filling IS fuzz mode! They'll need to fill a form to fill in the form to leap into fuzz mode! After they've finished Whotsapping horrible shite about victims or soon to be victims to each other, obviously.

I would like to encourage mrs BM onto a bike and a very sit up and beg folder may work. I think she would want more assistance than me so a Bafang may make sense…
A firmware finangled BBS01B certainly would provide more than enough assistance, on 20" wheels especially, but warranty would be voided if the seller found out after being presented with an apparently dead controller, battery, or whatever. Once dead, a controller can't be interrogated, and because it's a hack, there's no way to prove the firmware has been adjusted, as there is no file version - for all you know, it could have been delivered to you like that guv.

Unsure if I'd make the Bafang too powerful with that aluminium Crosscity frame.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I haven't seen a cop on the beat for ages. Don't all cops stay indoors filling out forms these days?
No that's a myth they spread because the truth is more uncomfortable. They now spend most of their time trawling through Twitter an Telegram for far right tweets, like there are only two genders for people or teachers shouldn't be teaching 5 year old about masturbation.

• Dislike
Reactions: CraigR

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would like to encourage mrs BM onto a bike and a very sit up and beg folder may work.
That steel/unobtanium framed folder I linked above, is more of a sit up an beg riding position, depending on the version. But no disc brakes. And 99.999% unobtanium.

44t may just work as I like to spin the pedals fast and this isn’t supposed to be a speed machine.
For me and my Helios, 44T was too small uphill - hard to balance on a 20" wheeled bike going that slow 44T>32T. 48T was ok, but not fast enough on flat roads. 52T is about right for steep hills and legal speed fast flat traversion.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I’ve no interest in firmware mods - well I do have an interest but will avoid as I want to remain on the correct side of the law. Would be buying a Woosh motor with the manufacturer applied 250w label for the same reason. I know that is somewhat illogical but it is what it is. Would get the Bafang 48v HD variant as can then interchange batteries with my TSDZ2 bike but that’s yet more torque on a cheap aluminium folder frame….

I find on my MTB that slower than 6mph and my balance starts to go, imagine worse on a folder. As mentioned on a parallel thread, custom firmware would fix my main complaint with my TSDZ2 which is limited assistance over 80rpm, but I’m not going down that path.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I’ve no interest in firmware mods - well I do have an interest but will avoid as I want to remain on the correct side of the law.
It isn't illegal to increase amperage. Even if you simply set "Keep current" to 100%, that would probably make the motor fit for purpose - before making firmware changes, I almost demanded a refund because my BBS01B was set up so badly as bought. If you're not going to adjust firmware, it won't be an effortless cycling experience for Mrs BM, and I fear you will receive grief. They never forget. :eek:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No that's a myth they spread because the truth is more uncomfortable. They now spend most of their time trawling through Twitter an Telegram for far right tweets, like there are only two genders for people or teachers shouldn't be teaching 5 year old about masturbation.
With all these new genders, how many ways are there to masturbate now? Has the number of ways increased or decreased? I like to keep abreast of developments in new masturbation technologies.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Doesn't meet the OPs requirements but I wondered about this as a donor folding bike for a front hub conversion. Aluminium with steel forks. You'd probably want to upgrade the disc brakes to hydraulic and change the rear sprocket to 11-28 or 11-32.

eta - I had a look at the Grin simulator and if I have put the parameters in correctly an AKM 75 conversion would get you up a 14% hill (which suprised me) with either a 36V or 48V battery - it would be quite a light conversion - 13 kg + 1.5kg for the motor and 1.8kg for a 36V 10Ah bag battery

Last edited: