Folding bike advice

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We own two Wisper 705t bikes, have had them just over 3 years. Have lately been thinking of swapping them for a couple of folding e bikes. The bikes are in first class condition and I have just put new battery on one, we have would though like to take them with us in the car, they just won’t fit in easy, did try but it’s just not worth all the hassle. Folding bikes would be a better option. I realise folding bikes are maybe not as strong as a fixed frame bike, we are both around 15.5 stone, just would like some recommendations on strong folding bikes. Oh and I know a bike rack would solve it, but I don’t want a tow bar fitting to the car, so that option is out.
Thanks

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Hi, could you not fit your existing bikes on a high mount rack that doesn't need a tow bar, like this one https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-bike-bike-rack-539061.html ? Presumably doesn't fit all cars, but doesn't need a tow bar. (you may also need a 'fake' crossbar for the bikes.)
Don’t think that is strong enough for two heavy electric bikes, I definitely wouldn’t feel safe with £2,500 of bikes hanging on it., plus neither bikes have a crossbar to fix them to the rack. Thanks anyway.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Took a ride out this morning in the car to check out what's available to easily carry the bikes easiest to get bikes in was a VW Touran, part ex price on our car was disappointing, some of the other cars that suited didn't have a lot of access to get the bikes in and floor height was to high to heave them in. It would be me doing the lifting etc, which would not suite me. Looked at vans but the lack of seating stops that. Ruled out a rack completely, with weight of both bikes and the e bike rack it comes to close to the nose weight of the car, plus I cant get my head around the bikes being safe on the back. So I think we will just have to accept it that we will use the bikes locally, and if we want bikes for holidays we will have to try and hire some

Badgerglider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 23, 2020
Folding electric bikes sound really good, until you get them.
This is just my five eggs, I'm not dissing other peoples nor their viewpoints.

We have two 'Carrera Crosscity Folding Electric Bike' from Halfords.

We bought them 4 years ago, when both aged 60 and had just retired.
Thought that we needed the extra power to our legs, these bikes delivered.
Excellent bikes and yet very heavy, so heavy that I got a ball hitch mounted rack; sorted. So, why did I buy a folding electric bike.... stupid, didn't think it through.

We now find, aged 64, that the 20inch wheels are a total pain. No ability for uneven roads, minimal centripetal stability, which gives us a total lack of confidence; it's the aging process.

So, now bought two new electric bikes, Corratec with 28inch wheels, awesome; stability brilliant. If they'd had a 29inch variant I'd have had that.

What am I saying?
If you're getting on a bit, forget the allure of an electric folding bike; totally wasted. Go for the biggest wheel size and with a step-through frame.

Just my five eggs

Badger

Reactions: Ocsid

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013

Excellent bikes and yet very heavy, so heavy that I got a ball hitch mounted rack; sorted. So, why did I buy a folding electric bike.... stupid, didn't think it through.

We now find, aged 64, that the 20inch wheels are a total pain. No ability for uneven roads, minimal centripetal stability, which gives us a total lack of confidence; it's the aging process.

So, now bought two new electric bikes, Corratec with 28inch wheels, awesome; stability brilliant. If they'd had a 29inch variant I'd have had that.

What am I saying?
If you're getting on a bit, forget the allure of an electric folding bike; totally wasted. Go for the biggest wheel size and with a step-through frame.

Just my five eggs

Badger

What am I saying?

Just my five eggs

Badger
[/QUOTE
We loaned a non electric small wheel bike to try, and I agree they are not the best, so ruled that option out. Never been keen on tow bar bike rack, looked into it again this weekend, and have had to rule it out, weight of two bikes and rack to heavy for car,it's very near the the max hitch weight. So we're not going to bother, I can see us getting rid of the bikes as roads around us are just so busy and getting busier. Far to many idiots drive with no regard for cyclists at all.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Both bikes provisonly sold. E bike days are now over. Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice, but we have decided to give them up.