Folding bike

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I find that a non-electric folding bike is a handy alternative to my ebike. You can just stick it in the car boot and take it somewhere reasonably flat for a change of scene without the hassle or worry of a bike rack. I'd meant to buy a new one in Spring but instead I just bought a Dahon Vitesse D7 from Fudges Cycles who are selling 2009 bikes at £299, including mainland delivery, compared to the RRP of £420. According to AtoB magazine there will be a price rise of about 35% for Dahon's 2010 range so the total saving could be around £260. Mine was delivered in the Isle of Man three days after ordering and in perfect condition. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Good value. I like the Dahon Vitesse D7. I came close to buying a Dahon myself a couple of years ago but ended up with the Brompton (a pressie :) ).
I use the folder the same way as you and while it doesn't get used that much these days it's very useful when I need it.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Better still, Bikerbob, why not sell your big ebike and buy a steel* framed Dahon folder such as the Speed TR or the D7 (nb not the Vitesse D7) and fit an Alien 24 volt conversion kit. You will then have a fairly light easily manageable ebike.

*The folder has to have a cromoly steel frame as the front forks have to be widened.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hmmm, I really like the idea of a Speed TR with a motor, perfect for just about all commuting and traveling generally (on paper anyway) and easy to store :)

I've not seen an electric Speed TR though, and have read a number of reports from people complaining about the build quality :(

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Well, here, again, is a photo of one of the two I own. The combination is indeed excellent for touring or commuting and the steel frame, unlike the aluminium of most ebikes, has a resilience all its own. In my experience the Dahon folders need no more or less maintenance, commensurate with their use, than most other bikes of a comparable price.

Attachments

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well, here, again, is a photo of one of the two I own. The combination is indeed excellent for touring or commuting and the steel frame, unlike the aluminium of most ebikes, has a resilience all its own. In my experience the Dahon folders need no more or less maintenance, commensurate with their use, than most other bikes of a comparable price.
that looks neat...Is it an Alien kit? if yes, what kind of range has it?

I had one high spec twin suspension Dahon folder that i sold last year a beautiful bike. and I still have a steel broadwalk (basic) and an aluminium Helios left...I might try electrifying one someday:)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Wow, thats the first one Ive ever seen, very nice :)

I'm glad you have a good experience of Dahon folders. The reviews I had read on the Speed TR were very critical of the build quality. so I can now put it back on my shopping list (I had taken it off after the reviews), so now between this and the Birdy again (with the Brompton right behind).

Thanks Rooel

John

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
that looks neat...Is it an Alien kit? if yes, what kind of range has it?
Yes, it is the Alien 24 volt kit with the brushless Suzhou Bafang motor. The range on one battery can vary between 15 and 25 miles, depending on various factors, including use of the throttle which will keep the motor on up to the legal 15 mph. I have fitted the pedelec as well and find motor power then falls away at 12 mph thereby increasing the battery range, and still providing adequate assistance, combined with exercise, over flat or moderately undulating country.

The 50 mile Pedal for Scotland route from Glasgow to Edinburgh is possible on two batteries, and last Spring my daughter and I took the two Speed TRs on a 40 mile mainly off road tour of South Edinburgh, including up over the Pentlands, and we still had some power to spare in the second batteries.

There is a thread somewhere on here where another Speed TR owner shows how to widen the front steel forks with a spiral rod and a couple of nuts, but pay attention to the health and safety precautions for that procedure, which are also mentioned in that thread!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
yes I have safety googles and I work in H&S:) I have some stud and nuts somewhere.....

are you savvy regards bikes? what I mean is did you find this kit difficult to fit?

the Helios is a nicer bike then the broadwalk...Do you think I could swap the forks over? then I will have steel forks for motor on alu bike.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I am afraid I know only enough to change a wheel, connect up the electrics according to the instructions, and tidy everything up with some cable ties.

The Boardwalk fork will probably have the same dimensions as the Helios one, but switching them over could involve some work with the headset which contains a lot of fiddly parts.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Better still, Bikerbob, why not sell your big ebike and buy a steel* framed Dahon folder such as the Speed TR or the D7 (nb not the Vitesse D7) and fit an Alien 24 volt conversion kit. You will then have a fairly light easily manageable ebike.

*The folder has to have a cromoly steel frame as the front forks have to be widened.
I did give that possibility some thought. Another alternative was a full sized Dahon folder which may well have wide enough forks as standard to take a motor. For my purposes (a very hilly local area, small car boot) I chose to supplement my present full sized ebike with a light weight, aluminium framed, unassisted small folder. A Brompton seemed expensive for occasional use. The Dahon does seem to be a well made, good quality bike and I'm sure that the Speed would make an excellent small electric folder if that is what you want. It just depends on your type of use and preferences.