Help! Folding E-Bike (London Narrowboat commuting)

Supertramp

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 26, 2022
Good Morning!

I was hoping to get some suggestions about appropriate folding e-bikes. I had initially wanted a Cube but I’m living on a narrowboat (thus needs to be foldable) and moving it to London, working as a doctor so will be commuting from wherever I’m moored to my hospital. Hoping to keep this distance at a maximum of 15 miles.

I’ve discounted the Brompton (too expensive, too many niggly faults). I’ve come across Fiido and I’m very tempted in the D4S or D11 but can’t quite decide.

If anyone has any other suggestions they would be gratefully received.
Budget is around £600-£1000 (or more if on the cycle to work scheme).

Thank you!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I’ve discounted the Brompton (too expensive, too many niggly faults).
I am surprised you found the Brompton as having too many niggling faults. To me, it's the best folding bike on the market and that is supported by their phenomenal success.
It's sturdy, folds very well and quickly, easy to carry and easily electrified with my kit if you need it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Supertramp

May 26, 2022
I am surprised you found the Brompton as having too many niggling faults. To me, it's the best folding bike on the market and that is supported by their phenomenal success.
It's sturdy, folds very well and quickly, easy to carry and easily electrified with my kit if you need it.
Thank you for the reply. I was referring to the electric version, at close to £3000, I’ve read about a number of issues that result in going back to Brompton (meaning no bike for x time).
I’ve tried a normal Brompton and enjoyed it but not sure I want the faff and expense of getting one and then getting it electrified (invalidating warranty…)

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
As a long term Bromton user, 20 years or so, I could not agree more.

I cannot recall any particular faults over that period, apart from punctures, but the Schwalbe Marathons mostly solve that problem.

The chain ring was worn after 18 years or so, but that about the only 'fault' I can recall.

And with the small fold I found it easy to store on a narrow boat when I took it on a canal trip.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I’ve tried a normal Brompton and enjoyed it but not sure I want the faff and expense of getting one and then getting it electrified (invalidating warranty…)
That could be a tricky one.

Although if there was a warranty issue, its not a big job to remove the electric add on.

I have contemplated what I would do if say my Brompton was stolen. I would definetly replace it, probably with a second hand one and convert that to electric.

Supertramp

May 26, 2022
As a long term Bromton user, 20 years or so, I could not agree more.

I cannot recall any particular faults over that period, apart from punctures, but the Schwalbe Marathons mostly solve that problem.

The chain ring was worn after 18 years or so, but that about the only 'fault' I can recall.

And with the small fold I found it easy to store on a narrow boat when I took it on a canal trip.
I’m sure the normal Bromptons are excellent and I enjoyed hiring one, in terms of faults I was referring to the electric version. A quick research suggests lots of owners feel it was a rushed afterthought and are plagued with problems.

That could be a tricky one.

Although if there was a warranty issue, its not a big job to remove the electric add on.

I have contemplated what I would do if say my Brompton was stolen. I would definetly replace it, probably with a second hand one and convert that to electric.
Absolutely, if I already had one, I’d electrify it, but as I don’t, I’m reluctant to buy one and then do this. So really looking for recommendations for other folding E-bikes.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Absolutely, if I already had one, I’d electrify it, but as I don’t, I’m reluctant to buy one and then do this. So really looking for recommendations for other folding E-bikes.
The Fiido's are decent enough for the price, although that price has gone up on both by £100-£150 since I bought my D11 for my own commute across London last year.

If you like the Brompton idea but want to keep the cost down, you might consider the LitePro Brompton and add a Woosh or Swytch type electrical kit.

If I were to buy now, I'd consider the Mycle Compact. That too has gone up by £100 just in recent weeks. It has an LG celled battery (which is good), but at 6.4Ah it's a little small for your commute. It also has KT electronics, which give a nicer ride/control than most.

There's also the Estarli E20 which appears the same as the Mycle. That has a slightly bigger battery at 7.2Ah, but costs a fair bit more as you'd need to add the rack and mudguards which the Mycle already includes.

The Mycle, Estarli, and Fiido D11 all weigh 17.5kg. The D4S weighs slightly more, but there aren't too many budget folders which weigh much less (the electric Brompton is only a tad lighter).

Good hunting.

Supertramp

May 26, 2022
The Fiido's are decent enough for the price, although that price has gone up on both by £100-£150 since I bought my D11 for my own commute across London last year.

If you like the Brompton idea but want to keep the cost down, you might consider the LitePro Brompton and add a Woosh or Swytch type electrical kit.

If I were to buy now, I'd consider the Mycle Compact. That too has gone up by £100 just in recent weeks. It has an LG celled battery (which is good), but at 6.4Ah it's a little small for your commute. It also has KT electronics, which give a nicer ride/control than most.

There's also the Estarli E20 which appears the same as the Mycle. That has a slightly bigger battery at 7.2Ah, but costs a fair bit more as you'd need to add the rack and mudguards which the Mycle already includes.

The Mycle, Estarli, and Fiido D11 all weigh 17.5kg. The D4S weighs slightly more, but there aren't too many budget folders which weigh much less (the electric Brompton is only a tad lighter).

Good hunting.
Thank you for this, I’ll have a look at each of these options. I’ve noticed the rapid increase in prices so want to get something sooner rather than later.
How do you find your D11 for your commute? How many miles do you cover?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for 15 miles commute (8 miles each way), may I suggest the Woosh Faro? It can be quite compact with folding pedals. If you turn the handlebars 90 degrees for storage, saves space too. It is lightweight (17kgs all in), easy to lift and carry, does not look electric and ride like a normal bike if you don't turn on the electrics.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
How do you find your D11 for your commute? How many miles do you cover?
My commute is (roughly) 2 miles - train - 2 miles - train - 4 miles, so 8 miles each way, although I can shorten the middle bit now we have the Purple Crossrail (you need a proper folding bike if you're taking trains certainly in rush hour, and that's especially useful if it decides to rain heavily). I guess you need to consider stowage on your narrowboat. Outside around salt water won't be good for any bike (although I've seen plenty narrowboats who do that).

The D11 has been fine/reliable. I have other e-bikes for leisure, so the D11 was intended only for my commute and heading into busy towns having parked on the outskirts. The 20" wheels for me are far preferable dealing with city potholes (and rougher tow-paths for you) than 16", and relative lightness was my other main consideration for lifting/stairs, although most stations I use do have lifts. The larger 11.6Ah battery is what finally swung it for me.

I'm 5'11"; I found the D11 frame a little "short" so added carbon riser bars (£20) - a better fit. It has mudguards and usable lights front and back included - I added a rack (£15). I changed the mechanical disc brakes to hydraulic calipers (£23) - not necessary, but improves braking.

Overall, it works well for my purpose. If it gets a bit scratched up on train racks or stolen it's no great loss. I'd be a bit pee'd off if it were a £3k Brompton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Supertramp

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Narrow boats are bloody narrow, you'd need a very small folded size, I can't think of any smaller than a Brommie (that's any good).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unicycle.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and guerney

Supertramp

May 26, 2022
My commute is (roughly) 2 miles - train - 2 miles - train - 4 miles each way, although I can shorten the middle bit now we have the Purple Crossrail (you need a proper folding bike if you're taking trains certainly in rush hour, and that's especially useful if it decides to rain heavily). I guess you need to consider stowage on your narrowboat. Outside around salt water won't be good for any bike (although I've seen plenty narrowboats who do that).

The D11 has been fine/reliable. I have other e-bikes for leisure, so the D11 was intended only for my commute and heading into busy towns having parked on the outskirts. The 20" wheels for me are far preferable dealing with city potholes (and rougher tow-paths for you) than 16", and relative lightness was my other main consideration for lifting/stairs, although most stations I use do have lifts. The larger 11.6Ah battery is what finally swung it for me.

I'm 5'11"; I found the D11 frame a little "short" so added carbon riser bars (£20) - a better fit. It has mudguards and usable lights front and back included - I added a rack (£15). I changed the mechanical disc brakes to hydraulic calipers (£23) - not necessary, but improves braking.

Overall, it works well for my purpose. If it gets a bit scratched up on train racks or stolen it's no great loss. I'd be a bit pee'd off if it were a £3k Brompton.
Perfect, thank you. I’ve pretty much settled on either the D11 or D4S. I like the slightly larger battery and look of the D11. I’ve also heard you can unlock it, though no idea what that actually means.
With NHS discount I can pick it up for £800 so seems like a decent option.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It‘s wide enough for a king sized bed!
I stand corrected, with 2.08m X 21.95 m external dimensions or thereabouts, you could use any ebike? Are narrow boat and mooring prices rising as fast as house prices?

Supertramp

May 26, 2022
I stand corrected, with 2.08m X 21.95 m external dimensions or thereabouts, you could use any ebike? Are narrow boat and mooring prices rising as fast as house prices?
I could, just about, get a full sized bike inside but trying to lift it into the boat, through the doors and then taking up lots of living space isn’t ideal. Plus, with being in London and wanting to use transport, I’d need something that folds.
Of course, I’d love a full sized machine but compromise is a must...