For those of you interested in Learning more about Key Locks and opening them by hand

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Especially if you have managed to lose the key for your bike or battery....

Half the battle is simply knowing what goes on inside a lock or cylinder, this video should help on that score, and may even allow you to open a lock where the key has been lost or mislaid.

Regards

Andy

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017 and guerney

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Especially if you have managed to lose the key for your bike or battery....

Half the battle is simply knowing what goes on inside a lock or cylinder, this video should help on that score, and may even allow you to open a lock where the key has been lost or mislaid.

Regards

Andy
It is disturbingly easy to defeat many locks that we might think secure our bikes when we leave them in public. Of course as all motorcyclists know, the professional thieves will just cut off even rather massive locks and chains with grinders and such like tools.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I hope I dont have to pick thebattery lock, although I did try the one on my Supersharks and did manage it a couple of times.

The battery lock on the Supersharks looks very similar to el-Cheapo ones you can get on Aliexpress for £2.50 so I ordered one to practice on and possible use as a replacement if needed.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It is disturbingly easy to defeat many locks that we might think secure our bikes when we leave them in public. Of course as all motorcyclists know, the professional thieves will just cut off even rather massive locks and chains with grinders and such like tools.
You are of course fully correct, but the reason I posted this is if someone loses a key for say their battery, and need to undo it to allow the replacement of the lock/cylinder, or even just to get a new key made or ordered.
On the subject of security, I use two long quality chain locks to block both wheels, and bind it to something substantial, and a sensitive loud alarm.
It has worked up till now, but of course I could still lose my bike tomorrow if a well trained thief wants it!
But it is insured for the replacement value.
I am lucky that the area I live in rarely gest properly secured bikes stolen.
Most riders here are the ones blacked out at night, do not have a bell or even know how to use one.......
Regards and best wishes
Andy

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
the reason I posted this is if someone loses a key for say their battery, and need to undo it to allow the replacement of the lock/cylinder, or even just to get a new key made or ordered.
So when you loose the first key, that is when you need to use the spare to unlock the battery and get a new key or the lock replaced.

I have had a number of cycle locks that I stopped using because I could only find one key .........

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So when you loose the first key, that is when you need to use the spare to unlock the battery and get a new key or the lock replaced.

I have had a number of cycle locks that I stopped using because I could only find one key .........
:):):):):)