Freego Bikes

Kevin Smith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
Hi
Went to the cycle show and tested many bikes, particularly liking the A2B, Cube and Anssman. Since then we have ridden a couple of Freego's and wre really impressed with the ride, power delivery and general finish, especially given the price. We're looking for two bikes, probably a Hawk or Eagle, and a Wren or Regency if we go for these. I like the credit deal, warranty and local dealer, but I'm really interested in the reliability and likely battery life, as I want them to be something we enjoy, not worry about, and I really don't know what's what, with all the makes available. If anybody could give me some thoughts it would really help. I'm not in a rush, but looking forward to getting something
Many Thanks

Last edited:

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I know two people with Freego bikes. One is male, has done about 9000 miles on his, and is on his second battery in about 3-4 years. The frame tube is cracking by the saddle, but he has had no luck with replacement. The other person is female, owned hers for 4 years, used for 10-20 miles every day for work, and the battery is just getting tired. They appear to be identical to my Woosh bike in construction, ie: Chinese, but twice the price of the Woosh offerings. I have done 3400 miles on my Santana in 18 months. It's used every day, and had one broken spoke in the rear wheel in the early days, hernia in the rear tyre at 1700 miles. Very comfortable.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I They appear to be identical to my Woosh bike in construction, ie: Chinese, but twice the price of the Woosh offerings..
I used to think that, but the current Freegos have a bit of quality about them, so you do get something for the extra money over woosh prices.

The OP talks about not having to worry about the bikes.

All bikes need fettling, some ebikes more so, so if you are a worrier an ebike may not be for you.

Freego service is known to be good, and the existence of a dealer nearby should cut down on the stress.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
The best thing is the warranty - 2 year warrantly on the battery. Plus you get a new bike if your bike develops a problem in the first year and cannot be fixed within 5 working days.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/freego-bikes.19265/

Best idea is to visit the local dealer (if you have not already done so). Battery prices are not excessive about £250 for a new 36v 10ah.

Good luck!

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Thanks all for the responses. Seem to back up what I've seen and picked up, that for the price they are your getting a good, useable, reliabe package. I'm not really a worrier, but being happy with the ride, and knowing I don't want to spend a lot more than this, I just want to be sure that when I want to use it, it works - I've had a couple of, admittedly Italian motorcycles, that haven't lived up to this modest expectation!
I'm interested that it's £200 to upgrade the battery to 16AH, but only £50 more for a new smaller 10AH - almost seems worth going with the original battery, and upgrading and having a spare later. My main purpose for the bikes is a pleasant weather only, round trip commute of about 34 miles once a week for me, and my wife doing 16 mile commutes twice a week, with days out together that are 25 - 35 miles, which is further than we would enjoy unassisted these days

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Just in case you don't already know, depending on the terrain and the load the bikes are carrying, 35 miles might be on (or over) the edge of what you can achieve with the 10Ah battery.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
As you have had Italian motorcycles you should be an expert with electrics;)
I have had Ducatis,Moto Guzzis and a Moto Morini so know just what you mean:eek:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I used to think that, but the current Freegos have a bit of quality about them, so you do get something for the extra money over woosh prices.

The OP talks about not having to worry about the bikes.

All bikes need fettling, some ebikes more so, so if you are a worrier an ebike may not be for you.

Freego service is known to be good, and the existence of a dealer nearby should cut down on the stress.
Rob, you should review the new Woosh Zephyr-B. It's about two years since you reviewed their Sirocco 2. You'll be surprised of the progress they've made.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
RobF Did you ever write a review for the Woosh Zephyr B I saw a comment on here from you saying that you had it for review but can't find the review?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF Did you ever write a review for the Woosh Zephyr B I saw a comment on here from you saying that you had it for review but can't find the review?
The review didn't get done for a number of reasons.

The bike was damaged in transit and then I fell off it on ice causing further problems.

In the short time I had it, I liked the motor, it even looks nicely machined apart from performing well.

Less than convinced with the rest of the bike.

I think full sus and folding is asking too much from a budget bike.

The folded package was very unwieldy, so all but pointless in my view.

Yes, you could just about hump it into the back of a hatchback.

But, even if you had to remove a front wheel, lifting a rigid bike into a car is less faff overall.

A Big Bear or Krieger looks a much better bet.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
But, even if you had to remove a front wheel, lifting a rigid bike into a car is less faff overall.

A Big Bear or Krieger looks a much better bet.
the folding is quick, about 5 seconds to fold if you are strong but can be a faff due to its size and weight.
Apparently, the Zephyr-B is targeted at city commuters, who need a fast and powerful bike but have to take their bikes into lifts and trains.
I rode it (the same bike that RobF had, after they replaced the broken bits) earlier this year, and found it very pleasant to ride on unmade lanes. Perhaps eddiePJ should give it a bash to see how it holds up.

http:/./wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b

it does have front quick release skewer so you can treat it as a rigid bike, removing the front wheel and push it into the back of an estate. Still, it's easier to fold it before loading.

Last edited:

nichodia

Jan 14, 2015
I have the freego regency really pleased with it, very sturdy but also very heavy..I get about 17 miles on high assist (but the bike is carrying just under its weight limit) on the 10 amp battery. A nice enjoyable and comfortable ride, I use it to go to work on. As far as speed is concerned my cycle computer registers that I can get between 17 and 18 miles an hour on max assist, the motor does not appear to cut out below this. Again really pleased with it.