FreeGo Bikes??

kwackerman

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Hi All,

Now that Alien are out of stock of the GS 2 and will not be able to supply the new model for a couple of months I am looking at alternatives.

Does anyone have any experience of these bikes supplied by 2wheelelectric in Southampton?

The specs seem very good as do the prices.

The Kingfisher and Eagle look good with 36v 17a battery.

Regards

Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We discussed similar to these recently. The battery is a generic one, old technology lithium-ion which have not been very long lived, a couple of years at most usually, often less, so replacement cost is important. Also important is whether batteries will be available in two years time, since we've had many makes appear and then disappear over the years with no batteries then available. Another question is how well the supplier is prepared to give technical support and spares backup.

Current preferred battery technology is the lithium polymer type with compound cathodes which promise well over two years average use, though they are expensive.

That's the reservations. On the good side these alternative makes mainly use well tried components, so I've no doubt they will work well and be ok to ride so can do most people's job for them.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi All,

Now that Alien are out of stock of the GS 2 and will not be able to supply the new model for a couple of months I am looking at alternatives.

Does anyone have any experience of these bikes supplied by 2wheelelectric in Southampton?

The specs seem very good as do the prices.

The Kingfisher and Eagle look good with 36v 17a battery.

Regards

Andy
That kingfisher frame looks a lot like my Powertrek fairly unkown clone of Oxygen. I can`t praise mine enough although the 36V 10 amp hour battery can`t hold a candle to my Alien 36V 10 Amp battery for lastability. I keep saying I`m gonna treat myself to a £1500 Wisper or similar but everytime I ride my bike I`m impressed. Battery replacement doesn`t worry me much because I have made up adapter leads to use various batteries on various bikes using kettle plugs and have just purchased some of the 4 pin type fittings that the likes of Cyclamatic use to be able to use the kettle lead batteries on them as well. I think the Phylion battery on my wifes Synergie Breeze is also going to be good once we`ve discharged it a few times and of course i have made up a lead for it to fit our other two 36V bikes.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Question for Flecc

Do you think that a 24V hub and controller could actually take advantage of a 36V battery without doing any harm?

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
My local bike shop as just got one of the FreeGo Eagle bikes. The spec is eye watering for the price. 36v, 17ah and they claim 'industry beating pka of 45A'.
Add to this a 24 months battery warranty, 4 year frame warranty and a claim that if the bike is within warranty but cannot be repaired within 5 days they will replace it.
Intend test riding tomorrow and possible purchase.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Look similar to the bear print range discussed on here recently. all I would say is take Fleccs advice., try before you buy. reputation has to be earned, so a risk in being an early adopter of an unknown product. but if price right and rides well good luck! but if price similar to established makes what's the point?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They claim peak amps of 45, is that good?
Exceptionally good if true, but it sounds unlikely. I can't help feeling that all the claims are stretched to the limit. The 17 Ah is probably at a very low discharge rate, possibly unrealistically low. At a high discharge rate the realisable battery capacity could be well down on that.

It's easy to make each claim appear good in isolation, whilst being impossible to achieve in combination as they have to be in practice.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks Flecc.

I currently own a Powacycle Salisbury, so in terms of power, this appears to be a major step up. It is priced at £1000, with disc breaks f+r, computer with heart rate monitor, light set, 3 power modes, front zoom suspension which certainly feel better than the Salisbury's, and Shimano gears. Weighs 24kg with battery.

At this price, I am serious about buying tomorrow. How would you recommend I test it to give more confidence?

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks Flecc.

I currently own a Powacycle Salisbury, so in terms of power, this appears to be a major step up. It is priced at £1000, with disc breaks f+r, computer with heart rate monitor, light set, 3 power modes, front zoom suspension which certainly feel better than the Salisbury's, and Shimano gears. Weighs 24kg with battery.

At this price, I am serious about buying tomorrow. How would you recommend I test it to give more confidence?
As one of the early buyers you would be one of the first to find out about reliability back up etc,only long term ownership or the experiences of at least several others can give any kind of confidence.

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
I am reassured by the service offered by the Bike shop owner. Although only a small shop, his approach to customer service is excellent. I have owned the Salisbury for 16 months now and although I personally have had no major issues, I know of others on the Island who have, particularly with the controllers. In all cases he has dealt with the repairs for the customer, contacting the supplier, getting the parts and fitting. In my case he has trued the wheels, checked brakes etc, all at no cost. He even came out 10 miles to collect the bike for me, when I first got a rear puncture. He took the bike into the shop, then showed me the best way to remove the wheel, without disconnecting from the controller.
So I am extremely confident, that if there are any issues, he will deal with them. Wish this sort of service to customer was widespread.