Freego Eagle Intermittent Power Fault

Kevin Smith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
Hi
I have a 4 year old Freego Eagle with a newly refurbished battery and have an intermittent fault that shows up on most rides with a loss of power. What happens is the bike will ride along normally and then, usually later in the ride or almost always over rough ground, lose power. If I lean back and pull the front wheel up an inch off the ground as I'm riding, power always (so far!) restarts again. It might do this 3 or 4 times on a ride, and usually at least once. Initially I had the speedo /power setting unit replaced professionally, with no change. Battery has now been reconditioned, and I have checked all fittings and wires I can access and taped up the brake cut out switches at the push fit connections to ensure they aren't seperating with vibration. Everything looks fine but I'm sure there is a loose wire somewhere, most probably inside the junction box above the front wheel. It looks sealed unlike on some other Freego's, but I'm not worried about trying to open it if anybody has had this problem and thinks this may be where the problem is. Otherwise its a great bike for my needs and most of my rides are 20 - 25 miles, so its trustworthy, just mildly irksome at the moment. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Did the fault occur before the battery refurb ?

Might be a broken copper inner within a cable's outer and is giving an intermittent connection.

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Did the fault occur before the battery refurb ?

Might be a broken copper inner within a cable's outer and is giving an intermittent connection.
Yes its been there for ages, and the battery refurb was to put that out of the equation. I thnk finding and testing a sealed copper wire is probably a bit beyond me, but the fact it always seems to connect with a single bounce of the front wheel seems really odd. Thanks

Stormbush

Just Joined
Nov 6, 2020
Yes its been there for ages, and the battery refurb was to put that out of the equation. I thnk finding and testing a sealed copper wire is probably a bit beyond me, but the fact it always seems to connect with a single bounce of the front wheel seems really odd. Thanks
Hi I have exactly this problem with my 4 year old FreeGo Eagle and wondered if you managed to resolve the problem?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi I have exactly this problem with my 4 year old FreeGo Eagle and wondered if you managed to resolve the problem?
Rather than refer to an old thread, which was very unclear, please describe your problem accurately and clearly. Words like "loses power" can have more than one meaning.

Stormbush

Just Joined
Nov 6, 2020
Hi
I have a 4 year old Freego Eagle with a newly refurbished battery and have an intermittent fault that shows up on most rides with a loss of power. What happens is the bike will ride along normally and then, usually later in the ride or almost always over rough ground, lose power. If I lean back and pull the front wheel up an inch off the ground as I'm riding, power always (so far!) restarts again. It might do this 3 or 4 times on a ride, and usually at least once. Initially I had the speedo /power setting unit replaced professionally, with no change. Battery has now been reconditioned, and I have checked all fittings and wires I can access and taped up the brake cut out switches at the push fit connections to ensure they aren't seperating with vibration. Everything looks fine but I'm sure there is a loose wire somewhere, most probably inside the junction box above the front wheel. It looks sealed unlike on some other Freego's, but I'm not worried about trying to open it if anybody has had this problem and thinks this may be where the problem is. Otherwise its a great bike for my needs and most of my rides are 20 - 25 miles, so its trustworthy, just mildly irksome at the moment. Thanks

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Hi Not really. The bike goes on and I typically do about 30 - 40 miles a week on it. I have disconnected the brake cut outs by simply pulling the connectors apart and that helped. If it does cut out completely as it does now and then, I push down on the handlebars and compress the suspension and that cures it 99% of the time. If it completely dies, then I stop and switch off and back on again at the battery with the key and that works every time. With my limited knowledge I most suspect a damaged wire in the harness somewhere around the joint box in front of the headstock, hence why pushing down on the handlebars helps. Its sealed but I'll break it open one day, although I look out now and then for a wiring harness on eBay. Hope that helps and any thoughts on a definative fault or a cheap fix gratefully received

Stormbush

Just Joined
Nov 6, 2020
Hi Not really. The bike goes on and I typically do about 30 - 40 miles a week on it. I have disconnected the brake cut outs by simply pulling the connectors apart and that helped. If it does cut out completely as it does now and then, I push down on the handlebars and compress the suspension and that cures it 99% of the time. If it completely dies, then I stop and switch off and back on again at the battery with the key and that works every time. With my limited knowledge I most suspect a damaged wire in the harness somewhere around the joint box in front of the headstock, hence why pushing down on the handlebars helps. Its sealed but I'll break it open one day, although I look out now and then for a wiring harness on eBay. Hope that helps and any thoughts on a definative fault or a cheap fix gratefully received
Many thx for your reply - I’m going to take it to my local repair shop in the hope they can diagnose the problem and I’ll let you know if they can fix it!