Freego Eagle problems

Harry999

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2019
Hi everyone

I have recently bought a freego Eagle second hand, its in great condition bu noticed when I started to pedal the motor would start up and stop very often, on closer inspection i noticed the magnet wheel was badly damaged, I recieved a new one today and installed it, motor is now working perfect when im pedaling, BUT, if I stop pedaling and pedal backwards the motor starts up again intermittently is this right??

so when you stop at traffic lights and repostion the pedals ready to go the motor starts up!! i understand it will always happen pedalling forward but pedalling backwards seems wrong to me.

So, freego eagle owners please check if your motor starts up when you pedal backwards, any advice id much appriciated

other than this I love the bike .

thanks

Clive

Reactions: artspeck

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi everyone

I have recently bought a freego Eagle second hand, its in great condition bu noticed when I started to pedal the motor would start up and stop very often, on closer inspection i noticed the magnet wheel was badly damaged, I recieved a new one today and installed it, motor is now working perfect when im pedaling, BUT, if I stop pedaling and pedal backwards the motor starts up again intermittently is this right??

so when you stop at traffic lights and repostion the pedals ready to go the motor starts up!! i understand it will always happen pedalling forward but pedalling backwards seems wrong to me.

So, freego eagle owners please check if your motor starts up when you pedal backwards, any advice id much appriciated

other than this I love the bike .

thanks

Clive
I've not had the problem itself, but I know electronics, so I do believe that there are two sensory, and the timing relationship between them decides if the pedal movement is for forwards or not.
I would imagine that the distance between the sensors is important,but only move one say 2.5 mm, in a specific direction, that will either probably cure or make it worse. If worse, move the same sensor back 5mm.....
On the internet, someone mentioned that the good sensors have 12 magnets.....not so good have only 5. Did you swap like for like?
Someone also mentioned that the magnet may have the wrong polarity facing the sensor....
Can you make some photos of the area, especially anything with a wire!
But I may be wrong, as it appears from here:-
That the disk might need to be removed and replaced on the crank in the opposite side...If I understood it correctly.
I hope someone here has better knowledge than I have for you....
regards
Andy

Harry999

Jun 15, 2019
Hi, thanks for a prompt reply, I ordered a direct replacement from Ebikesonline. its a fargo with 12 magmets in, it was slightly smaller in diamaiter than the one i took off which obly had 3 magnets left. I will go and move the sensor now to see it it ake a difference

Fingers crossed

Harry999

Jun 15, 2019
Hi, I've moved magnet when away fron the senso approx 4mm tried it tight against it too. still powers up when in reverse.

Ive take crank off and checked arrows ob magnet wheel they are face forward. I decided to turn magnet wheel around to see if this would help.

full power when pedalling backwards with intermitant power pedling forward so changed it back. all looks as it should just need to stop it firing up in reverse:mad:

any thoughts?

Regards

Clive

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, I've moved magnet when away fron the senso approx 4mm tried it tight against it too. still powers up when in reverse.

Ive take crank off and checked arrows ob magnet wheel they are face forward. I decided to turn magnet wheel around to see if this would help.

full power when pedalling backwards with intermitant power pedling forward so changed it back. all looks as it should just need to stop it firing up in reverse:mad:

any thoughts?

Regards

Clive
I really think everything is OK, and its just the fine adjustment. Did you see two sensors, or only one?
regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Freego pedal sensor has weird sensitivity issues. They don't like the 12 magnet discs, and different magnet discs are matched to different sensors because they each are designed to work with their own arrangement of magnets. You can get ones with all north magnets, ones with alternating north and south, and even ones where the magnet is oriented sideways in a rotation direction. I'm guessing that you replaced the magnet disc but not the sensor. Try pushing out every other magnet to leave 6 in place. You can always push them back in if that doesn't work, but before you start, use another magnet to check which N-S orientation they have so that you can put them back the same way.

Harry999

Jun 15, 2019
Ahh right ok, thanks for the advice, i will remove magnets tomorrow.will let you know how i get on.

and yes, i only replaced magnet wheel :(

Thanks

Clive

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The Freego pedal sensor has weird sensitivity issues. They don't like the 12 magnet discs, and different magnet discs are matched to different sensors because they each are designed to work with their own arrangement of magnets. You can get ones with all north magnets, ones with alternating north and south, and even ones where the magnet is oriented sideways in a rotation direction. I'm guessing that you replaced the magnet disc but not the sensor. Try pushing out every other magnet to leave 6 in place. You can always push them back in if that doesn't work, but before you start, use another magnet to check which N-S orientation they have so that you can put them back the same way.
Firstly, love you answer/information, nobody could guess that, you have to know that!
I am sure that the OP is most grateful, and I know that I have learned a lot today about PAS sensors!! They can be far more complicated than I ever imagined....
May I ask you to take the time, to write a "proper" short paper about them generally and place it here on Pedelec, as I am sure that many members would be most interested to know more and to prevent any future "hiccoughs"?
I know that I am!
Many, many thanks and regards from
Andy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Just a thought...
Perhaps one or two magnets are inserted the wrong way...
Before removing any first check with another magnet that all have consistent poles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy-Mat