Help! freego Folder

Trevorthedriver

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2020
HI, I'm Trevor from Mid Sussex. I ride a Freego Folder, early model with full throttle.
Lost all power apart from a bit of low power "stutter"
Checked all connections to no avail so I invested in a tester.
Everything seems OK apart from the motor hall sensor test which showed no activity on the blue wire.
Re connected everything, powered up and meter probed the connector
Yellow and green phase show 5v switching to 0v when wheel rotated but blue stays at 5v.
Now this is where I'd appreciate some advice.
I'm going to have to access the sensor to check the wiring and replace the sensor if necessary.
To access the cover I need to remove the gear cassette so I assume I'll need special tools for this.
Also the wires feed through that side, so is there anything I need to be wary of?
Trevor

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yours is a freewheel so you need that type of specific tool and not a freehub/cassette tool.
Check the motor cable outer sheathing where it enters/leaves the hollow axle for cuts/breaks as this can lead to phase or motor hall wire damage at that point other wise just be careful with the motor cable. Replacement hall designation is SS41 type on ebay a quid or two each.

Trevorthedriver

Mar 19, 2020
Yours is a freewheel so you need that type of specific tool and not a freehub/cassette tool.
Check the motor cable outer sheathing where it enters/leaves the hollow axle for cuts/breaks as this can lead to phase or motor hall wire damage at that point other wise just be careful with the motor cable. Replacement hall designation is SS41 type on ebay a quid or two each.
Thank you for your advice and help with the sensor type.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the first pic looks like you have to undo the Pozi screw om the red centre casing and assume it might slide off over the planetary gears.

Trevorthedriver

Mar 19, 2020
In the first pic looks like you have to undo the Pozi screw om the red centre casing and assume it might slide off over the planetary gears.
Can't shift the Pozi screws on the casing, possibly loctited in, and planet gears can't be removed. Don't see how I can remove the sensor, unfortunately.
Looking at replacing the motor. Greenergia on Ebay have a 36v, 250w 20" wheel motor (Bafan BFSWX02). The measurements for it are the same as my existing assy, but what are the odds on the internal motor slotting in to my hub as a direct replacement? My existing motor is 8FUN XK11T
Thanks, Trevor

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Simple answer is no hub internals won't slide in.

Use a bit of heat on the pozi screws and then a tap using a torque drive screw driver the type you smack with a hammer.

Trevorthedriver

Mar 19, 2020
Simple answer is no hub internals won't slide in.

Use a bit of heat on the pozi screws and then a tap using a torque drive screw driver the type you smack with a hammer.
A belated update
Held the endplate in my workmate and put a cushion underneath. Hit the shaft with a mallet and the motor dropped free. Split the old sensor to remove it as couldn't get underneath to tap it out. New one fitted. has been running well so far
Those sensor legs don't half break easy when you fit them!!
Thanks for help
Regards Trevor

Reactions: Nealh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Those sensor legs don't half break easy when you fit them!!
Probably Chinese fakes. The legs don't break on genuine ones. That's how you can tell the difference. It's the same with Chinese fake IR mosfets. Functionally, the fake hall sensors are OK, but not always the mosfets.

Well done for getting it all sorted. It's very satisfying isn't it.

Trevorthedriver

Mar 19, 2020
Probably Chinese fakes. The legs don't break on genuine ones. That's how you can tell the difference. It's the same with Chinese fake IR mosfets. Functionally, the fake hall sensors are OK, but not always the mosfets.

Well done for getting it all sorted. It's very satisfying isn't it.
That's interesting. As well as legs breaking the first one suffered"infant mortality" so I had to repeat the operation. Second time pre soldered short fly leads, shrink tubed, fitted the sensor and then connected up to the wiring loom. Less stress on the legs.
Yes,it was very satisfying. I used to fix "big" computers but a long time since I've done a component level fix

Reactions: Gliggsy