Help! Freego Hawk no power

J and A

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2021
Don't order anything just yet.

That's just reminded me. Some of the Freegos from that time didn't have hall sensors in the motor, so you can't use those controllers that Neal recommended. Anyway, the first thing is to do tests to find out what's wrong.

If you don't have a 5-way (possibly 6) connector in your motor cable, and you have just the three yellow, green and blue wires, then you have a sensorless motor and you don't need to do the hall sensor test in my schedule above.

I haven't shown hubby all these posts yet so nothing ordered yet.

J and A

May 9, 2021
Don't order anything just yet.

That's just reminded me. Some of the Freegos from that time didn't have hall sensors in the motor, so you can't use those controllers that Neal recommended. Anyway, the first thing is to do tests to find out what's wrong.

If you don't have a 5-way (possibly 6) connector in your motor cable, and you have just the three yellow, green and blue wires, then you have a sensorless motor and you don't need to do the hall sensor test in my schedule above.
Hi We have now carried out all 6 of your tests hopefully correctly. Everything seems to check out ok apart from test 5 - the motor halls signal wires. The voltage does not pulse when rotating the wheel backwards - it just increases the faster you rotate the wheel up to a max of approximate 5v. One check that we were advised to do was with the power off - connect any two of the blue green and yellow wires together - this should result in resistance when wheel is rotated backwards and this does happen.

Throttle signal wire check was ok. If you are happy to talk to hubby by phone then he is ok to do this but we really appreciate all your help.

J and A

May 9, 2021
Hi We have now carried out all 6 of your tests hopefully correctly. Everything seems to check out ok apart from test 5 - the motor halls signal wires. The voltage does not pulse when rotating the wheel backwards - it just increases the faster you rotate the wheel up to a max of approximate 5v. One check that we were advised to do was with the power off - connect any two of the blue green and yellow wires together - this should result in resistance when wheel is rotated backwards and this does happen.

Throttle signal wire check was ok. If you are happy to talk to hubby by phone then he is ok to do this but we really appreciate all your help.

ps - we do have ether 5 wire connector to the motor.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just to clarify the situation. With everything connected and switched on, please confirm that you have 5v between the red and black wires on the 5-way connector.

The next bit you said doesn't make sense, so please clarify. After confirming the 5v on the red and black wires, measure the voltage on each of blue, yellow and green while you turn the wheel backwards slowly. You should see 5v switching on and off several times for each rotation on each of the three wires. Make sure that the meter is set to measure DC volts and not AC.

J and A

May 9, 2021
Sorry - Yes we do have 5v between the red and black wires on the 5 way connector.

The next bit - The voltage on each of the blue, yellow and green wires, while rotating the wheel slowly backwards does not pulse at 5v. There is voltage there - 0.2 - 0.3 but not pulsing.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sorry - Yes we do have 5v between the red and black wires on the 5 way connector.

The next bit - The voltage on each of the blue, yellow and green wires, while rotating the wheel slowly backwards does not pulse at 5v. There is voltage there - 0.2 - 0.3 but not pulsing.
That would mean that the hall sensors in the motor are blown. It's possible that heat damaged them when you were going too slow up the hill. Other possibilities are that the wires in the controller compartment melted, but you would have seen that, or the motor cable is damaged and one of the hall wires shorted to a phase wire. Check the motor cable for damage, especially where it comes out of the axle.

If there's no short and it's only that the halls blew due to heat, you can replace them, which is a little bit tricky, but OK for anybody that's used to fixing things. They cost next to nothing. Use Honeywell SS41 or equivalents. Alternatively replace your controller with a sensorless or dual mode one, which costs about £40 with an LCD. you have to rewire a couple of connectors to fit your bike.

J and A

May 9, 2021
That would mean that the hall sensors in the motor are blown. It's possible that heat damaged them when you were going too slow up the hill. Other possibilities are that the wires in the controller compartment melted, but you would have seen that, or the motor cable is damaged and one of the hall wires shorted to a phase wire. Check the motor cable for damage, especially where it comes out of the axle.

If there's no short and it's only that the halls blew due to heat, you can replace them, which is a little bit tricky, but OK for anybody that's used to fixing things. They cost next to nothing. Use Honeywell SS41 or equivalents. Alternatively replace your controller with a sensorless or dual mode one, which costs about £40 with an LCD. you have to rewire a couple of connectors to fit your bike.

Cannot thank you enough for all your help. We will now follow through on your last message and let you know how it all goes. Will check the motor cable but visually it looks ok. Thank you for the controller link too.