Freego Hawk vs Giant Easy-E+2

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hi folks,
I’m still looking for a bike for my sister and two bikes have popped up locally, they are both a used, in fair condition and both sellers are asking £500.
As i’m not familiar with either model, I thought I’d ask here if there any pitfalls or short comings with either bike.
Any thoughts/comments welcomed .

Giant Easy-E+2.
(I’ve ridden this one)
front hub motor, torque sensor, been in storage for over a year, battery kept fully changed, rusty chain and top gear skips a little.
D2353365-477E-4149-88D4-FA524A5676A6.png

Freego Hawk.
(yet to view)
Rear hub motor, owner doesn’t know torque from cadence! new battery, said to be in good working condition
99C789FC-9881-4E87-A7F3-A306A3B618F7.png

Leaperslair

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2021
I would suggest the freego purely because it has disc brakes much safer stopping .Also power to the rear wheel is my preference .

Last edited:
Reactions: artspeck

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Freego every time on so many counts. Much sort after by riders who want reliability and good support from fellow owners like me.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi folks,
I’m still looking for a bike for my sister and two bikes have popped up locally, they are both a used, in fair condition and both sellers are asking £500.
As i’m not familiar with either model, I thought I’d ask here if there any pitfalls or short comings with either bike.
Any thoughts/comments welcomed .

Giant Easy-E+2.
(I’ve ridden this one)
front hub motor, torque sensor, been in storage for over a year, battery kept fully changed, rusty chain and top gear skips a little.
View attachment 41521

Freego Hawk.
(yet to view)
Rear hub motor, owner doesn’t know torque from cadence! new battery, said to be in good working condition
View attachment 41520
Already some good advice here, so I will only add that the battery (s?) needs to be checked fully. Charge it up and go for a LONG ride, is the easy way to do it in my view. Set the trip meter to 0 before starting.....
A defective battery may effectively double the price of the bike before it is usable as they might cost 400 UK Pounds (just guessing in this case, it could be more or even slightly less).
A bike without a fully working battery is worth almost nothing, and as there are plenty of good economical Hub bikes around NEW, for well under 1,000 UK Pounds...... With a new battery and a guarantee as well.....
Mine, ordered in the far east 4 years ago, with import duties and transport costs, came in at a tick over 930 UK Pounds.....
best wishes
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Freego for the handling, battery position is better as is having a rear hub, less skittish and better front end feel. Also looks like the bike has been better cared for.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To my eyes if someone can't be bothered to oil the chain just for a sale says to me they are really bothered if it sells or not, the Giant if you like it offer a silly price as it might want more then just a chain and gear derailleur adjusting.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The two pics both tell a different story top Giant is poor, pic taken on a crap snowy day in dull light, it does nothing to show the bike off.

Freego is presented very well on a bright sunny spring day, even the daffs make the pic much better and says look at the bike ride me and I'm ready to go. If a receipt backs up the new battery then might be the one to opt for.

That said both look to be in good nick, for me the Freego looks better having the smaller wheels as well.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’d arranged to view the Freego today but someone closer to it than me brought it before 8:30 this morning :( (Just after I’d posted my message here) it was only advertised yesterday evening on Facebook:rolleyes:
The giant is in the wrong section on eBay so still for sale, the owner had “his and hers” bikes and sold “his” last year for £500 so won’t take any less for the step through.
Now I’m unsure about the Giant ? I don’t want to make a rash decision but these things are selling for more than they were a year ago.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Giant has its own electrics, so spares only through Giant - if you can get them! I wouldn't buy a bike like that second hand.

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
The Freego looks like the higher spec Eagle which would have been even better. Improved forks and higher torque motor. Shame its gone....

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
The Giant has its own electrics, so spares only through Giant - if you can get them! I wouldn't buy a bike like that second hand.
yes that’s my concern, it’s not a nice enough bike to take a risk especially @ £500. Maybe if it doesn’t sell he may be flexible on the price ;)
I know he wants it out of the way but I also know he believes it to be worth £500.
meanwhile I continue searching “bikes for sale” adds :rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What he wants and what he gets are two different things.