freego topgun bike

stockwell@

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2022
just over 2 weeks ago i brought a second hand freego topgun bike, from a nice old lady, it came with a 36 ah 4 battery but i did a 2 day test and the battery only lasted 28 min both times, she had the bike from new since 2017, so i got a new x go battery 2 pin, 3 questions come to mind i am 5,10 weight 16 1/2 stone turn twist and go and button but its not going faster, the freego motor is on te back wheel, should i consider changing the motor and new controler

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It will be limited to 15.5mph by pedalling, the throttle should be limited to 4mph.
If the bike operates as I stated then it is a legal pedelec if you want faster twist and go, go buy a moped or buy SVA certified ebike that allows a 15.5mph twist and go throttle.

stockwell@

Feb 14, 2022
question for every one just brought 2 new x go 36 ah 4 batterys how long to bed them in,for some reason not getting the range and there as been some chat on forums that some batterys are not up to the job.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm confused by '36 ah 4 battery'. It is presumably 36v. If it is only 4ah that is a very low capacity battery (144wh). If you are over 16 stone and relying on the motor for almost all the effort it will probably deliver under 10 miles.

Looking at what may be a similar bike at https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/freego/freego-folding-electric-bike the smallest battery it lists is 36v, 8ah. Even for that it gives an 'up to' range of 15-25 miles. Heavy rider and lots of assistance often reduce optimistic 'up to' figures by as much as 3 times, so 5-8 miles. By that reckoning a 4ah one would only give 2.5 to 4 miles.
  • Battery: 36V 8Ah - up to 8Ah - 15-25 Miles* / 10Ah - 25-35 Miles* / 16Ah - 40-65 Miles*
* This will vary depending on weight of user, terrain and mode of pedal assistance used.

Reactions: matthewslack

stockwell@

Feb 14, 2022
I'm confused by '36 ah 4 battery'. It is presumably 36v. If it is only 4ah that is a very low capacity battery (144wh). If you are over 16 stone and relying on the motor for almost all the effort it will probably deliver under 10 miles.

Looking at what may be a similar bike at https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/freego/freego-folding-electric-bike the smallest battery it lists is 36v, 8ah. Even for that it gives an 'up to' range of 15-25 miles. Heavy rider and lots of assistance often reduce optimistic 'up to' figures by as much as 3 times, so 5-8 miles. By that reckoning a 4ah one would only give 2.5 to 4 miles.
  • Battery: 36V 8Ah - up to 8Ah - 15-25 Miles* / 10Ah - 25-35 Miles* / 16Ah - 40-65 Miles*
* This will vary depending on weight of user, terrain and mode of pedal assistance used.
thank you for your reply and what you had to say make a lot of sense,so can i change over the motor and battery to 48 v and also the freego controller

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I doubt it would be worth changing the motor, battery and controller. You'd probably be better off selling the bike to somebody it is suitable for, and looking for something else that suits you.

You haven't said what sort of riding you want to do; what sort of range, how hilly, how fast, how much off-road, how much of your own effort. Also, whether your want to keep to a legal pedelec (250 max nominal power, 15.5mph max assisted speed) or whether you are happy either to take the (very low) risk of riding an illegal machine, or to go to the hassle of registration/insurance etc. As Nealh said in the first reply you may be best off with a moped.

stockwell@

Feb 14, 2022
I doubt it would be worth changing the motor, battery and controller. You'd probably be better off selling the bike to somebody it is suitable for, and looking for something else that suits you.

You haven't said what sort of riding you want to do; what sort of range, how hilly, how fast, how much off-road, how much of your own effort. Also, whether your want to keep to a legal pedelec (250 max nominal power, 15.5mph max assisted speed) or whether you are happy either to take the (very low) risk of riding an illegal machine, or to go to the hassle of registration/insurance etc. As Nealh said in the first reply you may be best off with a moped.
i only got it to use it for my night shift which is local to me about 7 miles to me and its mostly on the flat,

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm not sure I can help much more, just a few more points.

That bike should be able to do that commute with a suitable battery. Quite a bit more capacity, especially if you can't charge it at work.

Make sure the tyres are pumped up to near maximum for increased range. Probably give you better handling and better wear too, but might be a bit harsher.

A bike with bigger wheels would probably be more comfortable for the commute (if practicable).

I still think that significant upgrades to that bike won't really turn out to be your best option, either for saving money or for getting the best final machine.