Freehub servicing on a Vulcan E

shabba007

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2021
Hi folks, I have a Carerra Vulcan E with a 'freehub' in need of a clean or replacing. When free wheeling or pedling backwards, the chain goes slack and falls off. Not wishing to take my bike Halfords to be worked on by children, I would like to attempt this repair myself.

I've never removed a cassette or freehub before, but I can see there are plenty of youtube videos on this subject, however looking on Amazon for some tools, I'm not really sure what I should be buying. I've attached a picture in the hope someone can say.....'yeh that's pretty standard, just get this tool' ?

Cheers.
Andy.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One needs a chain whip, a cassette tool with a 12mm central hole so the hub axle passes thru and a spanner. If the cassette tool doesn't have a big enough hole for the axle to pass thru and allow the castellation's of the lock ring tool to fit properly simply drill it out to 12/13mm.
UK Bicycle Bike Freewheel Chain Whip Cog Cassette Sprocket Remover Breaker Tool 711005739122 | eBay

Engage the chain tool on first or second largest sprocket with the leverage facing forwards, engage the cassette lock tool and with a spanner or socket spanner undo the ring ACW. Once undone the cassette slides off the free hub.
To refit align the cassette on the splines (one of them is smaller then the rest so is the gateway/alignment spline) screw on the lock ring and tighten (chain tool not needed to tighten).

Sounds very much like a pawl is stuck or broken as it doesn't freewheel backwards.

Last edited: