Freewheeling:

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
This may seem like a silly question,
I have a cyclomatic power plus.
I really, really don't like the drag from the motor that slows you right down when you stop using pedal assist or the throttle.

After doing a load of reading am I correct in thinking that a geared motor allows you to freewheel as on a normal bike?

My question is, would it be possible to buy a geared motor rear wheel and just swap them over (told you it was a silly question!) can't afford a new bike at the moment, maybe I could if I sold this one, only two month old.

Just wondering if it could work with all the variables, controller, wheel to fit frame etc etc.
Pretty new to the ebike world so go easy on me :confused:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you already have a geared motor on your Cyclamatic. Check for binding on the rear brakes first.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
Now I do feel an idiot, had no idea it was geared!
Servo brakes? check for binding.... how?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Cyclamatic has one of the most free-running hub-motors there is. If I lifted mine off the ground and span it up, it would go for about two minutes without power.

The drag is often an illusion. Lift your back wheel off the ground and spin it with your hand. It should spin freely. If it doesn't, check to see if the brakes are binding. Please report back the results.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
You said something similar in our previous conversation, about air resistance etc.
Regarding the brakes, if anything they are slack, I tried to tighten them a bit but the nut on the brake cable holder has rounded.
Even on a hill it slows down, I have nothing to compare it to but it definitely slows down markedly.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
Errrm..... I have done and it spins very freely indeed but I don't ride the bike upside down!
Anyway I will say no more as I am getting out of my depth, all I know is it happens.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You checked 50% of the bike try the other 50% and make sure that is free as well.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I really, really don't like the drag from the motor that slows you right down when you stop using pedal assist or the throttle.
Could it be that the drag you are feeling is in fact the increased difficulty in pedaling when you lose the electrical assistance?
I find if I use assistance from the start it's like hitting a wall when I go to pedal only so tend to cycle the first mile or two using leg power only, that way when I press the throttle it's like getting bionic legs.
If both wheels spin freely and tyre pressures are ok along with the bottom bracket bearing not being tight and the chain lubricated there's really nothing except a headwind to cause any drag unless weight on the bike is causing something to foul one of the wheels, though I think you would probably hear it if that was the case.

Dave.