Freewheeling

Nkata

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2019
When it comes to freewheeling on down slopes or on the flat is there a preference in motor type?

I am quite partial to not pedelling all the time, taking mini leg rests as I amble along. I do not have a high cadence, 67 years old and often feeling it. So, hub or crank? I assume the motor will kick in and out as the pedels start and stop and I would like this to be as seamless as possible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
When it comes to freewheeling on down slopes or on the flat is there a preference in motor type?
both geared hub and crank drive motors have internal clutch, they freewheel without the stickiness that you'll find in direct drive conversions.

I am quite partial to not pedelling all the time, taking mini leg rests as I amble along.
you should consider bike with a cadence sensor which lets you pedal as much or as little as you like. Bikes fitted with torque sensors require you to input between 25% to 50% of the required energy, it's much harder riding uphill with a torque sensored bike.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I have recently moved from hub powered to crank powered - but both (actually all 4 that I have had) have had standard gears
However I have noticed no real difference - possibly the new crank motor coasts a bit better - but that might be the tyres or something

Based on logic - I would assume that crank motors would freewheel a bit better as you are not moving any motor parts at all - so less reason for any resistance

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I was around your age in 2013 when due to a knee injury I fitted my first front wheel kit which I eventually replaced with a Woosh rear hub kit two and a half years back,
then I recently gave myself an early Xmas present of a Giant Fathom with mid drive Yamaha motor.
I find there is no difference in coasting with either bike.
I really enjoy the riding characteristics of the torque sensor mid drive but from what you say I would think that a cadence sensor system would probably be the way to go for yourself, maybe with a throttle control though that may encourage you to pedal even less, use it or lose it as they say!
My natural cadence tends to be around 60 on the mid drive and often a bit less when using the rear hub.
Much as I love the Fathom I'll not be parting with the Woosh/Trek which at the moment has spikes on for the winter and is still a joy to ride.
Woosh are a great company to deal with and have a strong presence on this forum along with superb after sales.
Dave.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It all comes down to the quality of the bearings in the hubs. If you have a mid drive bike with wheels built around DT Swiss ceramic bearing hubs then there will be less rolling resistance than cheap Chinese ball bearings in a hub motor.