From home made to Factory Build

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
My wife & I had reasonably decent bikes (Trek DS 3 & a Boardman Hybrid)
which I had Woosh convert to eBikes with 700C front hub motors at a cost of £674 for each bike. They are nice bikes but then we had the opportunity to get my wife a used Woosh Petite for £500 & it's so much nicer mostly because it's a step through but also because it's a rear hub eBike. We had first ridden rental eBikes in Brittany & these were step through & I realised that that is the sort of bike that is ideal for our style of bike riding. I have bought a couple of used Woosh step for about £500 & finally have settled on a used but near new Wisper Torque 705 that I bought for £800. I was so impressed with the torque control of the Wiper that we bought a new 24" Wisper Torque 705 for my wife at a cost of £1,700.

We still have the converted bikes. I doubt that we could sell them for much. On reflection we would have been better off buying the Wisper torque control bikes in the first place but I think that we had to work our way through the others to discover the bikes that suit us best.

Andy230262

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2021
Dorset
My wife & I had reasonably decent bikes (Trek DS 3 & a Boardman Hybrid)
which I had Woosh convert to eBikes with 700C front hub motors at a cost of £674 for each bike. They are nice bikes but then we had the opportunity to get my wife a used Woosh Petite for £500 & it's so much nicer mostly because it's a step through but also because it's a rear hub eBike. We had first ridden rental eBikes in Brittany & these were step through & I realised that that is the sort of bike that is ideal for our style of bike riding. I have bought a couple of used Woosh step for about £500 & finally have settled on a used but near new Wisper Torque 705 that I bought for £800. I was so impressed with the torque control of the Wiper that we bought a new 24" Wisper Torque 705 for my wife at a cost of £1,700.

We still have the converted bikes. I doubt that we could sell them for much. On reflection we would have been better off buying the Wisper torque control bikes in the first place but I think that we had to work our way through the others to discover the bikes that suit us best.
What sort of range do you get from the whisper bikes? What are they like on a long hill? Thanks

Andy230262

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2021
Dorset
This is true.
Also the bike I fitted the Bafang kit to was 14 year old so once I started using it more I was prepared to start replacing some of the original bike parts. I what I have read from lots of these post are that a lot of people use the low power hub kits which I have little knowledge in but compare to the power of a lot of the bought bikes where as a hub Bafang type kit is a lot more bang and range for your buck . But saying that I have yet to see a good fair shoot out between a bought bike and a home made bike of simulate cost. Thanks for all the information .

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
What sort of range do you get from the whisper bikes? What are they like on a long hill? Thanks
We have done rides of 30+ miles & there still seems to be plenty of juice left in the batteries. Both bikes have the 575Wh Wisper battery. Having the torque sensor is supposed to increase range by 30%. It certainly makes them nicer to ride with a far more natural feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We have done 30+ miles & there seems to be plenty of juice left in the batteries. Both bikes have the 575Wh Wisper battery. Having the torque sensor is supposed to increase range by 30%. It certainly makes them nicer to ride with a far more natural feeling.
Hi Nigel, I’m happy to read that the bikes are going well.

A torque sensor can give up to 30% more range as it makes the bike more efficient, only giving a rider power when they need it. It also makes the bike ride more like a non motorised model as the power applied to the pedals is augmented by the motor in line with the amount of pressure used.

All the best, David