From way down under | Tasmania

byebyepetrol

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2014
This forum seems a friendly place to hang out and swap war stories and the utility of the forum software seems impressive so far.

About Me
Started riding in the UK circa 1972 then emigrated to OZ and continued until Uni where cars and girls took priority. Returned to cycling 10 yrs ago to commute to work. Bikes owned Raleigh Twenty which I tried hard to make cool with a metallic green re-spray and Weinmann centre-pulls but it still sucked the life out of me thence to custom roadies one of which had a Shimano 600 groupset I brought back from Camden Cycles in 1984. Bike got ridden for three weeks then nicked.

Latest steeds include lovely aluminium Principia with Ultegra gruppo then I discovered cheap Chinese carbon and I've had 5 or 6 roadies and MTBs based on them.

New to pedelecs since 3rd week of Jan. this year and loving it. I knew I would. It makes commuting a hoot. Planning on touring using it and a trailer in the near future.

Looking to build a carbon 29er with Bafang BBS02 and keeping it as light as possible.

C

Cyclezee

Which one of you guys likes buying torque plates?

2 sets sold to Tasmania in the last week;)

byebyepetrol

Mar 3, 2014
Hi John,
re: torque plates
Not I.
Good luck with the business, I expect you'll do well in this expanding market, especially with the Bafang mid-drive / bottle battery products :

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Nor me, my next conversion job is all CroMo and will be a BBS01 or similar anyway.
Can you suggest the OZ agents for eZee start carrying the Bafang crank drives :)

Nice bike Byebyepetrol, yours?

byebyepetrol

Mar 3, 2014
Hi Geebee,
Not mine, swiped off CycleZee's site.
Mine is more like this. See photo. It's a great bike.

My only reservation is how I can't push it beyond 35km without enormous retardation...it might be the speed limiter kicking in.

I was following a very serious looking MTB pilot on the way home tonight and he was pulling some slightly "ambitious" moves to escape me...although TBH I was hanging back 20m and come the time when I was about to comfortably lose him I couldn't. On the roadie w/o a motor I would have been past in a flash...knackered for the effort but still past his flailing limbs and stern demeanour.

Anyone know how to remove the speed limiter? Beats me what make and model it is though. The controller is at the base of the battery bottle and is 250w 36v 10AHr.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi John,
re: torque plates
Not I.
Good luck with the business, I expect you'll do well in this expanding market, especially with the Bafang mid-drive / bottle battery products :

Hi byebyepetrol,

So far I have only sold one BBS-01 kit to the UK, but we have sold several now to mainland Europe.

The reason for the lack of sales in the UK is that people are buying direct from China and for this reason we may discontinue it.

I am not saying it is not a good kit, but my personal preference is for the eZee hub motor.

C

Cyclezee

Nor me, my next conversion job is all CroMo and will be a BBS01 or similar anyway.
Can you suggest the OZ agents for eZee start carrying the Bafang crank drives :)

Nice bike Byebyepetrol, yours?
Hi Geebee,

I doubt if Gloworm, the OZ distributor for eZee would stock the BBS-01 kits unless there was a big enough demand.

As I said above, people can self import if they are happy to do so without local support, so there is very little money in it for the dealer.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi byebyepetrol,

So far I have only sold one BBS-01 kit to the UK, but we have sold several now to mainland Europe.

The reason for the lack of sales in the UK is that people are buying direct from China and for this reason we may discontinue it.

I am not saying it is not a good kit, but my personal preference is for the eZee hub motor.
sorry for going off topic.
The reason I buy from China is choice.
Most kits I found on ebay are poor quality or too expensive for what they are or worse, both.
For customers like myself, if there is a reputable UK source for reasonable quality parts then I am quite happy to pay 20-25% above Aliexpress prices and not to wait for weeks for delivery from China.
Lack of local support is not the issue, most of us self builders can support ourselves.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Lack of local support is not the issue, most of us self builders can support ourselves.
There's a considerable difference between a self-builder & a kit-fitter though:
I'm in the latter category.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
then you should offer your service to members who just started and don't feel confident enough.
If we have about 10 fitters spread out, there should be thousands more self builds.
I keep rabitting on about the 8-Fun crank drive kit and bottle batteries because they are the easiest for beginners.