From Zephyr to Big Bear maybe?

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I have had two years experience riding an electric bicycle. I own a Woosh Zephyr CDN. I am now wanting to change to a full size (below £1000) bike and have been looking at the Big Bear. My Zephyr CDN is great, it copes with all hills brilliantly and is reasonably comfortable. My new bike would have to pull even better and have improved comfort. I am guessing the Big Bear will do so? One thing which i have been giving thought to, the front wheel motor, will i be able to hear it, being as it's in front of me? My CDN is silent, i don't hear a thing. I would also like an upright seating position so i would like to change the handlebars for ones similar to the ones on the Big Bear LS. Will the front wheel lose traction if i do so, as there will be less weight over the wheel?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My wife has a Big Bear LS and we live in west Wales. It can certainly handle the hills with ease. However the riding position is very upright, so there is not much weight over the front wheel. Therefore it can lose traction on steeper sections that are either wet or loose surface. Also you will hear it on those steeper sections. It is louder and a bit harsher than my Ezee.
Otherwise it seems a robust bike and seeing my wife (not a lifelong cyclist) trundling around the narrow lanes of Wales, overtaking roadies on the hills, whilst bolt upright, makes me smile.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
A rear driving Big Bear LS is the Santana2. I wasn't aware of this model. Really like the idea of the rear motor. Pity it hasn't got the Big Bear crossbar frame. I am looking to get a retro looking bike that looks like a Pashley Roadster but with great hill climbing power. Still looking at the Big Bear and fitting Roadster type handlebars, saddle etc.

Reactions: trex

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Although my CDN gets me up the steepest of hills with a bit of pedal power, i often think about how i would get home if the chain should break. These things can happen. Now, if i had a Big Bear with a hub motor and this should happen, i would be able to continue my journey uphill using motor power. Right or wrong?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It can be done, without a throttle even.

But IMO it is much easier to carry a chain tool and a spare link or two. Oh and don't forget the gloves! And the only chains I have ever seen being repaired were always MTB chains up on the mountain and there you need to be able to fix otherwise you are carrying the bike back down....

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I was just about ready to order a Big Bear then found that it will not fit in my bike shed. I could make my shed bigger or go for a Zephyr-B. But, ARE there any cables running through the INSIDE of the frame in the folding area on the Zephyr-B? There are on my CDN and i hate it! Also, will a B pull up hills as good as a Big Bear? Don't like the shorter range of the Zephyr-B though, looks like i will have to make my shed longer???

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I But, ARE there any cables running through the INSIDE of the frame in the folding area on the Zephyr-B?
LCD cable and rear hydraulic brake hose and derailleur cable: outside.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You don't park your bikes vertically? Your shed isn't tall enough :p

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's the same Bafang BPM, same 20A Lishui controller.
The rear motor wheel is suspended, no broken spoke as far as I know.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Woosh Big Bear arrived today as arranged. Great packaging. The bike was in beautiful condition with no marks whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised to find it has got a disc brake on the rear, rather than the rim brake that is shown on their website. A quick ride around the block, love it, great on the hills. This is my second Woosh bike purchase in two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
It's a spoke key. Check that the spokes are tight after you've done about 100 miles..
Ah, i would never have worked that out. I've now got to figure out how to use it, thanks.
Just found the info about adjusting spokes in the maintenance book.

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Any tips on how to stop wheel spins on the Big Bear. Because of my low weight i have been doing nothing but burning rubber on my first proper ride today!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
keep assist level low, 1 or 2 and use the throttle when more power is needed.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
keep assist level low, 1 or 2 and use the throttle when more power is needed.
Thanks Trex, but it's the throttle that's the problem. I always use it on our steep hills to get the bike moving then carry on with the pedals. This has always worked great with my Zephyr CDN but with Big Bear, just a tiny movement on throttle sends the wheel spinning on hyper speed.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the BPM motor is big and very powerful. It will take a little time.