From Zephyr to Big Bear maybe?

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Five days now. Love the bike. Love the style. Love the build. But, nothing is any good if it don't work. I can jump on my Zephyr CDN, twist and go forward no problem. With the Big Bear, no matter how low the power setting or throttle movement, the front wheel will just not grip the road, it just spins and sends me sideways. It will eventually find traction and take me up any hill, hit and miss all the way up. It's obvious to me what the problem is. I am too light at under 9 stone. It's like putting a Mini engine in the back of the car and using front wheel drive. The bike description needs to be revised and described as suitable only for the heavier person. I have emailed Woosh and asked their opinion on my idea of me fitting a front Dutch cargo rack to my bike and adding 10-15kg of weight over the front wheel. My mail has been forwarded to their tech team and i await their response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've ridden bikes with double that power in the front wheel. It's not really a problem if you lean forward when you take off or go up steep hills.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's obvious to me what the problem is. I am too light at under 9 stone.
What I remember it did say for the overweight unfit rider. So start eating to much, have lots of sugar, stop exercising, give up sex.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
one solution is to ask Woosh to swap your wheel set for a Santana2 wheel set which is rear driving.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I've ridden bikes with double that power in the front wheel. It's not really a problem if you lean forward when you take off or go up steep hills.
In my case, leaning forward does not help one bit.. If i was 16 stone plus and had a good back for leaning forward then it probably would helo. As it is, i am now the local subject of ridicule. The street corner youths can be heard jeering " Look at that old grandad burning rubber!"

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
one solution is to ask Woosh to swap your wheel set for a Santana2 wheel set which is rear driving.
I have had a response mail from Woosh. It's looking promising. They have suggested putting the motor into the back wheel. That would be perfect!

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
The tech team at Woosh did not get back to me as they said they would. It looks like putting the motor into the back wheel is a no go. I think it would spoil the look of the Big Bear if it was done anyway! Meanwhile, i have fitted new 'swept back' handlebars for a better upright seating position that i prefer. Fitted a new BIG sprung saddle. Yesterday, i set off to try some of the steepest hills in North Devon. Wheel spinning like crazy! But, i found that if i moved my LIGHT body weight forward and over the front wheel, this bike will pull uphill like a tractor! The answer for me then is to fit a Dutch cargo rack to the front and stick a sandbag on it. Not easy to do though due to the shape of the frame and suspension forks.

Last edited:
Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

The reason you have wheel-spin is that you have too much extra weight behind the back axle. It's all very well having a front rank, but you need to use it.