Front Chain Ring Bafang BBS01 250w

Patrick10am

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 31, 2019
Hi, recently fitted the BBS01 250 W motor to my Surly LHT. Is there any options to change the front chain ring size down to a 36 ? Would like to try that first before changing the cassette if possible.

Cheers :)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

You can find it in the UK if you search hard enough - maybe Brighton Ebikes.
yep. They are UK distributor for lekkie bling rings and other stuff. I have one from them. Darren is very helpful guy over there

Reactions: Patrick10am

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The 36 lekkie is flat with no dish, so chain line is sometimes a problem it moves out about 10/12 mm, but the extra torque is worth it use one on my trike needed a tensioner/guide to stop the chain dropping

Patrick10am

Oct 31, 2019
Thanks everyone I’ve emailed Brighton ebikes asking them about the lekkie 36 bling ring regarding problems when fitted.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you play around and have spare crank sets/ std chain rings you can add a double up front 34t being the smallest, though you need a spider adapter.

Last edited:

Patrick10am

Oct 31, 2019
I’m at work at the moment
If you play around and have spare crank sets/ std chain rings you can add a double up front 36t being the smallest, though you need a spider adapter.
I’m at work at the moment I have my old shimano deore Crank set although it’s x3 I will attach a picture later I would’ve interested to know if I could utilise it in any way. Thanks for the info.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On mtb I use a 34t and 48t and used a cheap spider adapter for BBS drives, added a front derailleur and it worked well. I had to play with spacers/washers between the adapter to prevent inner ring fowling the BBS casing. the only issue might be chain alignment if you use rear 8/9spd gears so you probably won't be able to cross chain very easily and use small/small or big /big. In my case it wasn't an issue as I used an Alfine 8.