Front hub 48v motor for very hilly area

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
Last night did a road test with the Mxus XF08 in it's new home, 936 Watts peak @ 24 Amps x 38v... :rolleyes:

Top speed? 31 kmh. Top speed climbing? Too scared to look down, too busy holding onto the bars... :cool:
That’s like the XF07 right? Only rear wheel version?

What I can see is that the MXUS are cheap and readily available, I’m struggling to find a BPM market 36v250w. Found a couple of places where one can “order” them, but ain’t cheap and also I’d have to inquire about making sure I do get one marked 250w

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes I think so.

Lucky you don't want one of these:
https://www.bafang-e.com/oem-area/components/component/motor/rm-g310250dc/ I do...

Bafang are the most expensive hubs, is that justified? In your case I would go for a 250W 36v SXW02 and run it at 48v, it can handle much more. Maybe you could marry it with a 20 Amp KT controller, that should give you enough grunt. I am running a 9 fet 25 Amp sine wave controller which would be another option, 1.2 kW is a handy amount of power when you have two growing kids :)

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
Yet another motor?

Seriously though, rear at the moment is out of the equation otherwise I’d consider that hub.

So BPM is bigger and (?) beefier than the SWX02. But more difficult to find with the 36v250w specs.

SWX02 is lighter but can handle the load no probs (?). And easier to find.

Seems a no brainer. I do value different opinions, but overall what’s the final verdict? :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Seems a no brainer. I do value different opinions, but overall what’s the final verdict?
that depends on your battery. Can you post a picture of your battery?

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
it's not easy to find a controller built into the base of your battery.
You may have to consider a 48V BBS02.
Thanks, but why would I need to have a controller built into the battery base?

The cargo bike is huge, I can prob. fit a number of controllers all over the cargo box :cool:

Will be haunting for a 250w SWX02 or BPM to be fitted in the front wheel. Whichever I find first ;-)

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your advice guys, much appreciated :)

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The cargo bike is huge, I can prob. fit a number of controllers all over the cargo box
the controller needs protection from humidity, even when it's potted in silicon.
It's very difficult to fabricate a good box with wires coming out of it.

Reactions: BidelloZ

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
the controller needs protection from humidity, even when it's potted in silicon.
It's very difficult to fabricate a good box with wires coming out of it.
Good to know extra protection is needed, I might use a marine rated submersible box, something rated to 10 bars should prevent moisture altogether ;-)

Reactions: Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yet another motor?

Seriously though, rear at the moment is out of the equation otherwise I’d consider that hub.

So BPM is bigger and (?) beefier than the SWX02. But more difficult to find with the 36v250w specs.

SWX02 is lighter but can handle the load no probs (?). And easier to find.

Seems a no brainer. I do value different opinions, but overall what’s the final verdict? :)
No, I was just giving your the example of a motor that is as rare as hens teeth to find, it isn't adapted to your usage but rather to mine.

The SWX02 will have plenty of grunt in a small wheel.

• Agree
Reactions: BidelloZ and Woosh

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
No, I was just giving your the example of a motor that is as rare as hens teeth to find, it isn't adapted to your usage but rather to mine.

The SWX02 will have plenty of grunt in a small wheel.
Awesome thanks.

As many other have experienced, finding the right bits is rather difficult, no wonder people take the easy route and rely on ready to go and tested kits like woosh ones :)

I’d really want to avoid having to buy a motor with anything but 250w stamped on it. The very reason I removed the BBSHD was the risk of getting into trouble. Many told me I was being anxious and exaggerating things. I’m only being sensible, can’t mess around when strolling kids aboot :)

Cheers

Reactions: Eagleowl

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Btw, I know this is marked 36v350w but in your experience is it possible at all to communicate with these sellers and have such motors engraved “250w”?

Apologies in advance if it’s really as silly as it sounds :-D

Good luck with that :)

Seriously look at the sticker on this motor:

https://bmsbattery.com/motor/353-15748-q100-36v250w-350w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html#/213-rpm-201

Now wouldn't that be easy to peel off and replace with your own sticker? Not saying you should or anything silly :rolleyes:

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
Good luck with that :)

Seriously look at the sticker on this motor:

https://bmsbattery.com/motor/353-15748-q100-36v250w-350w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html#/213-rpm-201

Now wouldn't that be easy to peel off and replace with your own sticker? Not saying you should or anything silly :rolleyes:
Yep thought about that, but then could have also done the same with the BBSHD which had 1000w engraved on it :-O
Surely could dremel things down and re-engrave. Wondering how sensible that is... :-D

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
So after some time spent searching the web (not the dark web though, might have to give Tor a go...) I only seem to come across 350w BPMs and lots of 48v500w SWX02.
Also found an 36v250w SWXH2, not sure how this differs from the SWX02.

I’m thinking, considering all the fuss with the 250w limitations, I should maybe consider a more powerful hub for the REAR wheel too, and possibly have the sticker drop somehow...

But, if I were to finally go that route, I’d prefer torque sensing over cadence. So unless there are torque sensing hubs, I might need a BB torque sensor.

Definitely more food for thoughts.

Equally, maintaining my original decision of going for an front hub, I could just get one of the hubs mentioned above and deal with the 350w labelling.

If rated power weren’t the limit, a good rear cassette hub say around 500w (for it being not too obviously illegal) could do with my heavy bike? Directly drive or still geared? And torque sensing?
Wondering about the MAC motors, the Crystalite, the Cyclotricity (incidentally these are in Glenrothes).
Cheers

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The SWH2 is not a powerful motor like the SWX02. It's only 122mm diameter instead of 158mm.

the Q100s and Q128s used to have a peal-off label, which solved ecverything, since the motors are the same size or smaller than any of the regular 250W ones, but since BMSB switched to genuine Aikema versions, the markings are printed on in silver, which is just an ID number and production date. No power rating marked.

I've seen a guy make his own labels out of 2" sticky backed aluminium tape, printed on a laser printer or photocopier, and laminated with 2" sellotape to keep the print nice.

Reactions: BidelloZ

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
Thanks for that.
How about Mac motors, or Crystalite? And these switchable Ciclotrycity? 250w legal and 1000w?

BidelloZ

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2019
The Q128 48v500w 201 rpm version seems nice, takes a cassette, and it could be a good quick option for the moment, if I were to go with a rear hub. Clearly there is also the front version.

Also found the BPM2 36v350w and 48v500w as front hub. Better take the 48v version right?

I think I might just go with one of these and see how to mark it properly.

BPM2, Q128 or SWX02? Whatever the marked wattage.

Cheers