Front Hub Motor

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
If you have something like this on your back wheel, you will almost never get a puncture and the argument about punctures becomes practically irrelevant:

Yeah looked at them, but I ride my front hub off road, so may have to consider the Black Jack tyre or some other with MTB tread.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you have something like this on your back wheel, you will almost never get a puncture and the argument about punctures becomes practically irrelevant:

I used to average about one puncture a week before fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus 6 years ago. Since then, zero punctures in 6000 miles despite getting a three inch nail burried two inches in my tyre. see the photos:

• Agree
Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
In 14 years, 3 inflation incidents with Schwalbe tyres. I do a round trip commute of 20 miles and never take a pump with me.

No punctures with Marathons, just one case where the rubber of the inner tube perished around the valve and the valve popped out.

One puncture with a Durano Plus due to a large thorn. But it was a slow puncture and I got home ok.

One puncture with a City Jet tyre. Piece of flint went through the tread, however City Jets only have a puncture resistance level of 3 compared to 7 for the Marathons. Tyre was subsequently replaced with a Marathon and no problems since.

Marathon tyres are quite heavy, but the rolling resistance has improved enormously in recent years.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Having had a look, I see they do various types of Marathon tyre. Will have to see what I can get that would be suitable for rough trail riding and replace the Bontragers I have.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Having had a look, I see they do various types of Marathon tyre. Will have to see what I can get that would be suitable for rough trail riding and replace the Bontragers I have.
Also ask Nealh, I think he uses an alternative brand for off road cycling that serve him well with a front wheel drive motor.

Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Of course that doesn't help that I 'm in the process of building an electric fat bike! :confused: 26x4 Schwalbe Marathons?

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
The reason nobody mentions it is because there is no difference. The procedure is the same, whether front or back: Pull off the tyre on one side, pull out the tube, patch it, stuff it back in, pull the tyre on and pump it up. How do you reckon on one being eaier than the other?
OK, so maybe I meant easier to change the tube because the motor wire isn't in the way? that's easier to do surely and yes I know you can just pull the tube out and repair it, Thanks anyway for your comment!

Last edited:

Johnwat1980

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2020
Newcastle upon Tyne
Of course that doesn't help that I 'm in the process of building an electric fat bike! :confused: 26x4 Schwalbe Marathons?
I had a haibike fat 6 and was running jumbo Jim's n I tell ya I was sick of getting punctures I ended up filling with slime but eventually ended up putting cheaper wires tougher tires on couldn't seem to find puncture resistant fat tyres 4" Might be different now was quite a few years ago

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
I had a haibike fat 6 and was running jumbo Jim's n I tell ya I was sick of getting punctures I ended up filling with slime but eventually ended up putting cheaper wires tougher tires on couldn't seem to find puncture resistant fat tyres 4" Might be different now was quite a few years ago
Hi John, do you recall what make you used for the wire tyres?

Reactions: Johnwat1980

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
OK, so maybe I meant easier to change the tube because the motor wire isn't in the way? that's easier to do surely and yes I know you can just pull the tube out and repair it, Thanks anyway for your comment!
Why would you want to change a tube?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Big difference in puncture resistance between the plain Marathon and the Marathon Plus.
We have had excellent service from the Plus as well on many bikes, but the ones we have had would not be good for trail. OK grip forwards, fine for cornering on roads, fine for reasonable quality surface bridleways, but very poor sideways grip in mud etc.

MPs used to be a little harsh to ride. I was surprised when I replaced another tyre (Specialized Crossroads I think?) with an MP Tour recently how much smoother, quieter and better rolling it was than the Specialized.
Not really a fair comparison though.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Big difference in puncture resistance between the plain Marathon and the Marathon Plus.
We have had excellent service from the Plus as well on many bikes, but the ones we have had would not be good for trail. OK grip forwards, fine for cornering on roads, fine for reasonable quality surface bridleways, but very poor sideways grip in mud etc.

MPs used to be a little harsh to ride. I was surprised when I replaced another tyre (Specialized Crossroads I think?) with an MP Tour recently how much smoother, quieter and better rolling it was than the Specialized.
Not really a fair comparison though.
Just spent a few hours looking at tyres. So many types and specs. o_O