Front Mac motor or possibly bafang motor axle

Justin.Clements

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2015
Hi all and anyone,

The threads on the axle of my MAC motor have stripped. I've spoken to eM3ev who have spoken to MAC and neither have an old one. This axle has the phase wires threaded through the centre unlike the newer versions that have the wires through the casing.
I just thought I'd ask on here in case anyone has an old burnt out or otherwise dead motor with one of these axles that they don't need and would be willing to sell to me.
It's a geared front hub motor 100mm spacing.

Thanks,

Justin

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi all and anyone,

The threads on the axle of my MAC motor have stripped. I've spoken to eM3ev who have spoken to MAC and neither have an old one. This axle has the phase wires threaded through the centre unlike the newer versions that have the wires through the casing.
I just thought I'd ask on here in case anyone has an old burnt out or otherwise dead motor with one of these axles that they don't need and would be willing to sell to me.
It's a geared front hub motor 100mm spacing.

Thanks,

Justin
Maybe speak to a mechanic, maybe they can use tap and die to cut new threads, not sure if there's a limit of stripped where this is no longer possible but worth an ask. Also have you asked if the new style axle is compatible with the older model? It might be that you just have to change to a newer side plate or whatever. Again I'm no expert just doing the kind of brainstorming I would do if I was in that awful situation. Also if it's only stripped a little try a new nut, that has worked for me before with a crappy Chinese hub

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
To add to anon4's comment. I had a rear MAC motor many years ago, which had the phase and hall sensor wires through the centre. Like you, I stripped the threads. The axle metal is like butter. I used a tap and die set to recut the threads, then fitted a longer nut, so more threads gripped the axle.

The only PITA, was removing my anderson connectors, so I could slip the old nut off and new one on.

Justin.Clements

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2015
Thanks, for the advice guys, glad to hear you were actually able to do this on a mac spindle Fordulike, I was worried that the metal might be too thin around the centre hole. I plan to take the spindle right out as I need to pull the phase wires through another 2" as they've become beared where they enter the axle. Second time that has happened to me!
I don't think the cover fixing holes on the new side plates align with the old holes. So a new cover isn't an option unfortunately..