Front or rear conversion

BBL

Just Joined
May 9, 2020
Hello all, pretty new here and still got loads to learn.

I have an older hybrid (10 year old Mongoose Crossway 450 with cable disc brakes) which I'm toying with converting.

I'm a bigger guy at about 16 stone if that makes a difference. I guess I'm a bit concerned I wreck a perfectly good bike into something I end up not using enough.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looks suitable for a rear conversion with downtube battery. You would need to be careful with front conversions on a bike with suspension forks; others could advise better. Have you ruled out mid-drive conversion for some reason?

Look at what Woosh has to offer at https://wooshbikes.co.uk/. You would probably want one of the more powerful options. Also depends how hilly it is where you'll be riding.

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the result and it won't be a waste. Just in case, you won't have wrecked the bike and could easily unconvert it, but I think that is very unlikely.

BBL

Just Joined
May 9, 2020
Thanks for the reply. The mid conversions looked to be more technically difficult.

I have my front forks locked permanently so hoped it might not be an issue.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Value of a 10 y/o hybrid tbh not very much, in todays age cable disc brakes are a bit naff but ok until you try the no nonsense hdb's/
A front conversion can be ok if it is 250w rated then again it really depends on the forks and d/o's. Mid drive are often much easier then rear hub kits but you need to show a pic of the bottom bracket underside and one with the stays in the pic.