Frustrating 15.5 limit

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can change the settings speed limit and amps it is classed as a off road switch under uk law.

so even if you set it at 250w 15mph it would still be classed as illegal.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Why do you think he got up and run off with the bike then and then it was found dumped a few miles away??? Needed time to remove the dongle I expect
It could have been his head injury or shock. Perhaps he was making his way to a hospital or a place of first aid. Perhaps he was dazed and not thinking rationally. These bikes are expensive. Would you leave yours there? Maybe it was dumped because it was broken. Or maybe he just couldn't carry it any further. Whatever, it's all supposition until we know otherwise, and the facts come out..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go find a kit on ebay that is legal you wont and as far as i know only these bikes there was no way to remove the speed limit other than a dealer doing it.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
go find a kit on ebay that is legal you wont and as far as i know only these bikes there was no way to remove the speed limit other than a dealer doing it.
I don't want an ebay kit.....I'm happy with my fully legal ebike thanks

Justify it to yourself anyway you want, but to me your breaking the law having a dongled ebike......simple as

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
It could have been his head injury or shock. Perhaps he was making his way to a hospital or a place of first aid. Perhaps he was dazed and not thinking rationally. These bikes are expensive. Would you leave yours there? Maybe it was dumped because it was broken. Or maybe he just couldn't carry it any further. Whatever, it's all supposition until we know otherwise, and the facts come out..
Nope he didn't seek first aid or a hospital and was ok to hand himself into the police an hour or so later............

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
police are not interested and after 4 years i have never had a problem ;) and not 1 forum member has had there bike taken buy the police either.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Nope he didn't seek first aid or a hospital and was ok to hand himself into the police an hour or so later............
Perhaps he gave himself first aid and then reported to the police after hearing / reading of the condition of the woman that caused the accident.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
police are not interested and after 4 years i have never had a problem ;) and not 1 forum member has had there bike taken buy the police either.
They weren't interested in fixed speed bikes with no brakes either, until someone was killed by one

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Perhaps he gave himself first aid and then reported to the police after hearing / reading of the condition of the woman that caused the accident.
Why not stay at the scene, plenty of people tried to get him to stay.........ambulance had been called, could of got first aid from a qualified professional then.

It seems there a lot of defensive people on this thread. It's good playing devils advocate, my post just proves how egotistical some of you are.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
In NZ we don't have speed limit YET for ebikes, but I suspect its coming given increasing number ebikes. On road I don't see any issue, in lot cases its safer being able to stay with traffic and take middle of lane. Faster bike speed reduces speed difference between car coming up from behind, giving them more time to react. Life saver on hilly climbs.

Dedicated cycleways and shared footpaths are another issue, majority of unassisted bikes are doing 20-30kmh. A 25-32kmh cutoff in this case makes sense, which why Europe introduced 25kmh.

Off road I'm either climbing in which doing less than 25kmh or going downhill where pedalling past assist is not issue.

The 25kmh cutoff on Bosch is great for touring in my case as I can ride comfortably at 25-27kmh. As assist fades off I use less power so its good range extender.

NB bike is going back to shop next week for firmware upgrade to get speed increased to 32kmh. Both Bosch and Shimano have been offering this upgrade on more recent motors set to 25kmh. Only factory technicians can do it when they visit shop.
Just because I don't mind 25kmh doesn't mean I won't say no to more speed especially if it is legal.

Update to follow.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so is weed and riding a bike pissed so im fooked b4 i get on it anyway :D

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Why not stay at the scene, plenty of people tried to get him to stay.........ambulance had been called, could of got first aid from a qualified professional then.
Why not stay at the scene? Same answer as below.

It seems there a lot of defensive people on this thread. It's good playing devils advocate, my post just proves how egotistical some of you are.
I'm merely providing a plausible alternative to your own self centred assumptions.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hover boards are illegal yet you dont see plod going round taking them of kids do you :p

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Self centred......says the illegal ebike rider
That comment is irelevant, and your claim of the London ebike in question being illegal isn't proved at this time. What I do know is that the woman caused the accident. Nothing will change that fundamental fact. Rest in peace.

Like I said, it's not my problem. I wasn't riding it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hover boards are illegal yet you dont see plod going round taking them of kids do you :p
Actually the Devon and Cornwall police do use Segways illegally every year.

And a number of police forces used illegal e-bikes between 2003 and 2015.

Trouble is, who is going to stop and charge them?

• Informative

Advertisers