Full Suspension + Bafang.Project completed! Ideas ?

mer

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2008
Hi all

My project is finally over , well not over-over, but it's coming to an end. I still have to make some modifications to ensure better comfort . So I chose a cheap full suspension bike rather than a hard tail or similar to convert it to an e-bike.

This is the bike after conversion.

Motor : I chose a rear suzhou bafang motor ( the 250w 26" 36v version , which has 8FUN engraved on to it , I suspect this model has better nylon gears than the other models ) because 1) its small/stealth , 2) its almost silent 3) its efficient 4) its geared so better hill climbing ability 5) price

Battery : It's a 48V 10AH Lifepo4 . This is a very cheap and good battery, it works like it should .

Controller : cheap 48V 30A controller . Works brilliantly.

Rim : Sun Rhyno Lite 26" ( I laced the motor myself , used spokes from SJS cycles ) , once it was trued it stayed true . Excellent + cheap .

Tyres : I had some Schwable Marathon after some recommendations but quickly changed them to DMR MotoDigger 2.35". The difference is obvious. I'll soon get one for the front or a maxxis holly roller. I don't inflate them that much so the added suspension / comfort is a welcome thing. Rolling resistance is quite good. Using Nokian DH thick tubes , it's almost impossible to get a flat .

I had to change the gears to shimano as the original were crap... now I am getting an electra saddle and maybe a cruiser style electra handlebar.

For me it's of vital importance to ride comfortably so I might choose something ineffiecient but comfy over something very efficient.

I am very pleased with the result and I am welcome to suggestions on what could improve comfort . The only thing I don't particularly like is the center of gravity ( because of the battery mounted on the back ) but it's not that bad . I might get some pannier bags and split the battery in half or something like that .

I haven't measured max speed or how many kms the battery lasts but it should be about 35km/h and 15kms with no pedalling.

Thanks !

PS sorry for my bad english , I'm Greek

Last edited: