G51 controller ( Pedal Assist not working )

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is there any writing/name on the black part ? It may or may not say Julet.

Two piece PAS is seperate magnet disc and sensor head , they are more reliable.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Is there any writing/name on the black part ? It may or may not say Julet.

Two piece PAS is seperate magnet disc and sensor head , they are more reliable.
I would imagine the connector is Julet. As most of my connections are like that orange. But saying that I had a problem with my thumb throttle connector as that was orange, But was wired different way, and dont think the new thumb throttle had Julet marked on it. so I had to cut off the connector, and join the correct wires up. If I do buy a different PAS or same one I will make sure to ask if it has Julet on it 1st

So what type of two piece PAS would fit mine as I don’t mind buying a better reliable one. Would you have any links on eBay

I don’t know what my P13. Reading is. But will have to check another time

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
This is the connector from the controller to PAS connector, and it is Julet so I would have to 1st check where i buy one to make sure it has Julet on it. as I dont really want to cut and solder wires again if possible.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is the connector from the controller to PAS connector, and it is Julet so I would have to 1st check where i buy one to make sure it has Julet on it. as I dont really want to cut and solder wires again if possible.

View attachment 57658
The problem is not the connector, it's the wiring sequence in it. Cut the connectors off and join the wires directly if you want to be sure that you have the correct sequence.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The problem is not the connector, it's the wiring sequence in it. Cut the connectors off and join the wires directly if you want to be sure that you have the correct sequence.
Well I didnt really want to do that, But will try with the connecter 1st, and if no good then i will have to cut connector and wire it up. But I was thinking of a better PAS, Nealth said about a 2 piece PAS

would this 1 work on mine if so do I glue that metal ring onto crank 1st

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The sensor type you posted needs the sensor ring to fit behind/between the bottom bracket and and the frame BB shell/casing . One would need to undo the BB to do so.
The sensor I have posted is a simple one that cable ties to the bottom of the seat post and pivots so one can adjust the sensor head gap to the disc.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The sensor type you posted needs the sensor ring to fit behind/between the bottom bracket and and the frame BB shell/casing . One would need to undo the BB to do so.
The sensor I have posted is a simple one that cable ties to the bottom of the seat post and pivots so one can adjust the sensor head gap to the disc.
What’s a BB shell/casing I may need some help fitting the PAS. So will try when it arrives

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok will order this one. Yeah I have a feeling I am going to have to join the wires up. Solder and heat shrink
One won't now until one connects and tries it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What’s a BB shell/casing I may need some help fitting the PAS. So will try when it arrives
It is also known as the the bottom bracket , the casing /shell as I call it accepts the BB cartridge which can have internal or external bearings .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The sensor I linked to doesn't need any removal of BB or cranks to fit .
The senor simply fits on to the seat tube via cable ties and the magnet disc snaps on over the crank axle and is held by the outer metal ring retainer.

Before you fit anything test the PAS before fitting.
Connect the sensor and wave/pass the magnet disc past the sensor head to check the PAS works (make sure the drive wheel is off the ground).

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The sensor I linked to doesn't need any removal of BB or cranks to fit .
The senor simply fits on to the seat tube via cable ties and the magnet disc snaps on over the crank axle and is held by the outer metal ring retainer.

Before you fit anything test the PAS before fitting.
Connect the sensor and wave/pass the magnet disc past the sensor head to check the PAS works (make sure the drive wheel is off the ground).
Oh Yeah I believe the magnet disc is in 2 halfs, so like you said no need to remove crank pedal arm. is this video same one

So the sensor fits on the underneath bike tube , like where i have marked in yellow or is it on the blue part

How do you mean wave/pass the disc, do you mean dont solder or join wires until you have turned the pedals to see if PAS kicks in, like just temp join wires. what distance away should disc be from sensor

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The sensor sits on the seat tube (Blue mark).
For testing one doesn't need to physically fix anything in place.

To test the PAS one doesn't need to fit it , simply connect the two ends up (Julet to Julet). If the Julet wiring is in sync then the PAS should work .
Hold the sensor in one hand correctly orientated and then pass the magnet disc across the sensor head to activate the PAS.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The sensor sits on the seat tube (Blue mark).
For testing one doesn't need to physically fix anything in place.

To test the PAS one doesn't need to fit it , simply connect the two ends up (Julet to Julet). If the Julet wiring is in sync then the PAS should work .
Hold the sensor in one hand correctly orientated and then pass the magnet disc across the sensor head to activate the PAS.
Ok But if the connectors dont work you mean just temp twist wires together for testing dont solder until after its worked. when fitting disc does it have to be close to pedal arm or close to bike stem. I will let you know when it arrives so then i can test it out. Im hoping thats whats wrong and a new PAS works.

I think next time I bring my bike up 16 steps to my flat as I am on 1st floor, and bike is in a shed on ground floor. I am going to try driving it up with battery on. like walk with it on throttle, as it gets a bit much at times, trying to lift up stairs. Using throttle carefully it should help bike up stairs, i wont need battery on going down its np

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think next time I bring my bike up 16 steps to my flat as I am on 1st floor, and bike is in a shed on ground floor. I am going to try driving it up with battery on. like walk with it on throttle, as it gets a bit much at times, trying to lift up stairs. Using throttle carefully it should help bike up stairs, i wont need battery on going down its np
Probably one sure way to blow the controller or motor Halls.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I throttled my mid-drive bike up stairs using short throttle activations, when it had a throttle. Seemed silly because with the battery removed, my bike isn't too hard to lift up a flight of stairs in my home... but I did consider putting a long plank over the stairs, to roll the bike up. I've been meaning to try lifting the bike onto the thick bannister bolted to the wall, which doesn't have a gap for the wheels to fall though, and roll the bike up that instead, at an angle. I could fold the handlebars down to reduce the angle.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Probably one sure way to blow the controller or motor Halls.
Oh didnt realise that. ok that idea is scrapped, will have to lift bike up manually, its not too hard really as I empty out saddle bags, and turn handlebar side ways so can grip bike. quite a few times someone is wanting to come up so they help by holding back wheel.

Im hoping this new PAS will be much better than the old V12 type as at least I can clean this one better without removing pedal arm

Last edited: