Gates Carbon Drive problems

English Tim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2017
Dorset
I have a Kalkhoff Premium Include, with carbon drive belt instead of traditional chain.

I bought it new last summer.

I have had two major issues. The first where the power failed, leaving me to walk up hills, this seems to fixed with a software update.

Whilst riding on Bournemouth Promenade, through wet sand, which had blown onto road, the carbon belt came off twice. They are very difficult to repair due to the tension and it was a real struggle in a hail storm. I thought I’d have a long walk!

Has anyone any experience of such issues?

I am considering returning the bike as not fit for purpose.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Swizzbee (see avatar) has chain drive gears and gates belt drive motor on opp side. No issues when riding along S/Coast between Worthing and Brighton.
I can only think it is an alignment/tension issue, can't see it being a worn as they are supposed to have a very long life.

Take it back to the dealer and let them have a look and check any drive alignment or fault as a service/warranty issue, that's the advantage of paying for a dealer bike with warranty.

English Tim

Sep 22, 2017
Dorset
The Swizzbee (see avatar) has chain drive gears and gates belt drive motor on opp side. No issues when riding along S/Coast between Worthing and Brighton.
I can only think it is an alignment/tension issue, can't see it being a worn as they are supposed to have a very long life.

Take it back to the dealer and let them have a look and check any drive alignment or fault as a service/warranty issue, that's the advantage of paying for a dealer bike with warranty.
Thanks for the advice. The problem I have with my dealer is that he sub-contracts his maintenance so I have to wait until mechanic is available, but I have contacted him. In the meantime I can’t trust the bike.

I have advised my dealer that as this issue is the second breakdown in 6 months, that if this isn’t fixed properly and promptly and / or I get a further problem, I’ll request a refund, as I will have lost confidence in the product which I will deem as unfit for purpose.

I do hope they can fix it, but I would recommend buying from a dealership that has in-house mechanics.

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Thanks for the advice. The problem I have with my dealer is that he sub-contracts his maintenance so I have to wait until mechanic is available, but I have contacted him. In the meantime I can’t trust the bike.

I have advised my dealer that as this issue is the second breakdown in 6 months, that if this isn’t fixed properly and promptly and / or I get a further problem, I’ll request a refund, as I will have lost confidence in the product which I will deem as unfit for purpose.

I do hope they can fix it, but I would recommend buying from a dealership that has in-house mechanics.
Hi Tim,

The belt falling off sounds like a tension problem, as they do have a center track to stop any side to side movement.

How much movement is in the belt up and down when it is in place? There are a couple of adjustment screws which can be tightened very quickly if there is excess movement.

English Tim

Sep 22, 2017
Dorset
Hi Tim,

The belt falling off sounds like a tension problem, as they do have a center track to stop any side to side movement.

How much movement is in the belt up and down when it is in place? There are a couple of adjustment screws which can be tightened very quickly if there is excess movement.
About 3-4cm, but it was like this following the service, so if this is too much, then I’ll have even less confidence in dealer. I did notice it had more play than prior to the service, but as the mechanic wasn’t present when I collected the bike, I couldn’t check. I also hope that no damage has been done refitting it, as I had to do it by hand or walk 10 miles!

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
About 3-4cm, but it was like this following the service, so if this is too much, then I’ll have even less confidence in dealer. I did notice it had more play than prior to the service, but as the mechanic wasn’t present when I collected the bike, I couldn’t check. I also hope that no damage has been done refitting it, as I had to do it by hand or walk 10 miles!
http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/resources/handling-and-tension
http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/gallery?tab=training