Gboost reviews

dspiller

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2020
Hi, just found this site and hoping that owners of the Gboost kits could provide long term experience with these motor kits. I'm thinking of getting one and would appreciate honest reviews. Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

dspiller

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2020
Your review was from 2017. How has it performing lately?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As you are interested in a friction drive kit have you looked at the Revos friction drive ?
The company is based in Bristol and all the design/work is done in house. The original start up drive was unsensored but the latest is now a sensored drive, in all it takes about 20 - 30 mins to install.

crunchcrunch

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Hi @dspiller and anyone else looking to make a retro-fit eBike. I've just got got one of these kits, after looking into pretty much every other option including completely DIY.

So far I'm a huge fan. Quiet, powerful motor, easy to fit (if you are used to doing any bike work). They designed the motor themselves and it's made by Bafang - you can't get it anywhere else AFAIK (do let me know if you know otherwise) - it has over-specced bearings and is waterproof unlike many friction-drive motors. Runs very smoothly and feels very high quality indeed. The Version 7 kit (which you get even though it says V6 on the website) basically has temperature sensors added to the motor so that they can max out the power to it without risk of damage. They've just this month had a new batch arrive with upgraded electronics (so I guess 'V8', but not sure if that's official naming), so it's a good time to buy.

Do mention 'CrunchCrunch' if you contact them (no kickbacks - yet haha - just want Dominique know I kept my word that I would let fellow english-speaking pedelec-ers know about their product, as he was really helpful :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi @dspiller and anyone else looking to make a retro-fit eBike. I've just got got one of these kits, after looking into pretty much every other option including completely DIY.

So far I'm a huge fan. Quiet, powerful motor, easy to fit (if you are used to doing any bike work). They designed the motor themselves and it's made by Bafang - you can't get it anywhere else AFAIK (do let me know if you know otherwise) - it has over-specced bearings and is waterproof unlike many friction-drive motors. Runs very smoothly and feels very high quality indeed. The Version 7 kit (which you get even though it says V6 on the website) basically has temperature sensors added to the motor so that they can max out the power to it without risk of damage. They've just this month had a new batch arrive with upgraded electronics (so I guess 'V8', but not sure if that's official naming), so it's a good time to buy.

Do mention 'CrunchCrunch' if you contact them (no kickbacks - yet haha - just want Dominique know I kept my word that I would let fellow english-speaking pedelec-ers know about their product, as he was really helpful :)
Hmm! Sorry, has all the hallmarks of a fake review!

crunchcrunch

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2020
Haha actually it's not - feel free to ask me questions to verify! (Yep I'm a new member - although been reading reviews an so on for years and thinking I should sign up)

Ok, some 'criticism' then - I didn't buy their battery but went for a 48V 15Ah one from another supplier - but it's not really a criticism as their battery packs are good - I just wanted to max out the speed and have extra long range.

Edited to add - the little 'lever' for keeping the motor disengaged if you don't want to use it (and don't have the lever/bowden fitted, as I don't) is too flimsy - I'm expecting it to be unreliable and have to make my own.

First days using it, so may be issues I haven't yet discovered.

ps. no need to apologise as I see why you thought it - but 'innocent until proven guilty', and welcoming new members? ;-)

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Haha actually it's not - feel free to ask me questions to verify! (Yep I'm a new member - although been reading reviews an so on for years and thinking I should sign up)

Ok, some 'criticism' then - I didn't buy their battery but went for a 48V 15Ah one from another supplier - but it's not really a criticism as their battery packs are good - I just wanted to max out the speed and have extra long range.

Edited to add - the little 'lever' for keeping the motor disengaged if you don't want to use it (and don't have the lever/bowden fitted, as I don't) is too flimsy - I'm expecting it to be unreliable and have to make my own.

First days using it, so may be issues I haven't yet discovered.

ps. no need to apologise as I see why you thought it - but 'innocent until proven guilty', and welcoming new members? ;-)
Please show photos of your bike showing the whole thing and details of the electrical installation.

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Your review was from 2017. How has it performing lately?
Thats actually my review (haven't been on the forum much since the start of the year). It ran faultlessly to be fair for 2 1/2 years over two different bike fittings. It will go onto my partners bike at some point. I have been trying to get a TSDz2 working of late because I like to run soft rubber (winter tyres) during the icy stages of the year and I can't do that with this. It works mostly in the rain although my aftermarket grip tape isn't so durable so I probably end up replacing it every thousand miles or so. The original lasted probably 3 times as long.

The only other issue I had was the cable that holds it off the wheel snapping one day. I just replaced it with a standard gear cable and all was good. Its a good system that (mostly) works in the rain and is best suited for dry weather on roads. I prefer my TSDz2 kit but for the torque sensing but that thing is so sensitive (broken 2 critically so far and working out whether to buy a third) that I'm not sure I could recommend it as I seem to spend as much time with it in bits repairing it as I do riding it.

Ebl

Just Joined
May 6, 2021
Hi, just found this site and hoping that owners of the Gboost kits could provide long term experience with these motor kits. I'm thinking of getting one and would appreciate honest reviews. Thanks
Hi, you can find many reviews on german forums and french forums and here is an example of french blog you can Google translate:

It s about previous version, present version has double motor torque.