Gear and chain problems.

Torridtime

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 27, 2020
Hello guys. I have a problem with a Wisper 805fe. Yes it is an old bike but I has served me well for about eight years and still like new. I am 79yrs. Why when I wind the pedal back so it’s in an easy position to start off, while doing this I am turning the pedal and crank does it throw the chain off.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The freewheel might be slightly sticky. In that case if you move the pedal back while not on the bike you will see the top segment of chain go slack.

There may not be quite enough tension on the derailleur arm, again could be sticky if some dirt has got in.

The derailleur indexing may have gone out, but of course that would affect gear changing as well.

Torridtime

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you for the reply. I also noticed there is a tight spot, on the rear whee rotation. Everything is fine all gears working 16 speed. As long as I don’t wind back the chain wheel.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Use plenty of gear oil (hypoid 90) on the chain, gears and derailleur, then pour some into the freewheel/cassette along the axle. When everything is lubricated and moving freely, your bike will be much better all-round.