Gear Change

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
My xbyke blew over in the wind a few months ago and part of the (plastic) brake control snapped off. It's one of those combined with the 6 speed changer EZ Fire changer things and after a bit of chasing round apparently you can't get them anymore. I've tried dealers, Shimano, ebay etc (I found some from a Czech dealer but I found communicating with Shimano easier, but just as unhelpful in the end). I think I'd rather change to a separate gear change and brake lever but again getting a definitive 'this will work' suggestion for the changer is proving difficult. I've been pointed to 7 speed ones, and told they should work ok- but without any convincing ability to follow up the statement. Anyway a 6 speed one would mean no messing around. I've also been pointed to the twist shift type- but prefer the twist throttle (spondylosis means a thumb throttle is ruled out)- but the bar shape means I couldn't really put it inboard of the throttle/brake lever.
Are there any alternatives for a Shimano 6 speed EZ Fire Plus shifting that anyone can suggest (not combined changer/lever)? Single speed perhaps ;-(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That one is very easy to fit. Just thread the cable through and fix it at the derailleur end. You can then use any standard brake lever, but ideally you should be using a standard ebike one with a brake switch in it. (find them on ebay or wherever)

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
That one is very easy to fit. Just thread the cable through and fix it at the derailleur end. You can then use any standard brake lever, but ideally you should be using a standard ebike one with a brake switch in it. (find them on ebay or wherever)
The original doesn't have a brake switch on, nor does the rear brake. There wasn't any wiring option from the controller for fitment of cutout switches either.
I'd like to keep the ability to change gear- it's hilly here so if I fixed a gear it would have to be low.

Straylight- that looks ideal, thanks!

Last edited: