Gear shifting

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello all
I have just taken delivery of my Cube Acid Hybrid 500 29er and am a little unsure of the gear shifting operation.
There are 2 levers, pushing one with my right thumb moves the gears from 1 up to 9. Pulling the other lever with my right index finger brings the chain back again to gear 1.
Is there a video anywhere that shows these lever movements and resulting chain movements if possible of the Cube I have as above.

Many thanks

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hello all
I have just taken delivery of my Cube Acid Hybrid 500 29er and am a little unsure of the gear shifting operation.
There are 2 levers, pushing one with my right thumb moves the gears from 1 up to 9. Pulling the other lever with my right index finger brings the chain back again to gear 1.
Is there a video anywhere that shows these lever movements and resulting chain movements if possible of the Cube I have as above.

Many thanks
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're unsure about but that's the normal operation of 9 speed derailleur gears.
Unlike hub gears which you may have used in the past, the gears won't actually change unless the pedals and wheel are rotating forwards as they will be whilst riding the bike normally.
Start off with the chain on the biggest cog and definitely avoid back pedalling whilst changing gear.
If you search on you tube for videos about adjusting derailleur gears there are sure to be some which show them in action.
I hope this helps.
Dave.

• Informative
Reactions: Markxc40

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks Dave, what I seem to find is that if I have stress on the pedals and want to change gear to make it easier for me to go up the hill I have to lighten the pedal load and it then changes quite easily, smoother.

Probably just the newness of it all I'll give it some more time.

Regards

Reactions: D C

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
No, that's exactly right. With deraileur gears it's best to shift down as you approach a hill so that the load on the peddles is lighter. If you do have to shift down on a hill lighten the peddle load as the shift happens, otherwise they will crunch/grind.
It'll soon become intuitive.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Sounds normal to me.

As you gain experience you learn to anticipate needing to change into a lower gear, perhaps to climb a steeper gradient, and change down a gear or two just before you actually need to, so that you do not lose momentum and can keep pedaling hard as you start to climb and your speed reduces.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As others have said change early so you are spinning more before the hill, once on the hill it is too late and stalling will occur with loss of momentum and effort. Treat the changing as you would a push bike.

• Informative

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have to do this with my E14 Rohloff electronic change if I want it to be smooth. It will cut the power from the motor for a fraction of a second during a change but under full effort it isnt pleasant. Do it right no matter what gears you have.

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks all for your confirmation that I just need to apply a slightly different technique to my hill climbing.
I had been riding as on the level then then as the pedal work load rose going up an incline I was looking to change gear.
I'll be taking a ride-out later today and be more pre-emptive with my gear selection.

Thanks