Gepida Reptila 900

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The follow was my first posting from another thread of this bike after purchasing in early March 2018. Just cut and pasted from other thread.

Just upgrade wife's ebike to a Gepida Reptila 900, this 26" wheel version of 28" wheel 1000.
Features
Bosch Activeline, 400wh powerpack mounted in frame below seat, Nexus 8 spd hub, Magura HS11 rim brakes, integrated lights , Suntour NEX 50mm fork and built in Abus cafe lock.

This bike replaces a Shimano STEPs 28" ebike with derailluer gears.

First impressions after brief ride is solid handling bike, very quiet, like nexus 8 but does take little getting use to. Yet to put NEX forks to test but seem lot better than bargain basement Zoom forks on old bike.

Nothing really in it between Activeline and STEPs motors, Activeline seems more refined while STEPs slightly more peppy.

The main reason for change was smaller frame and wheels made for better fit, other bike while being small frame was slight to big for wife. 26" wheels give short wheelbase by 200mm, makes for more nibble better handling bike at low speed in tight situations ie hairpin corners. Low centre of mass by having frame battery compared to rack battery also helps. Other plus was same battery as my bike, we now have 900w/hr between us, less assist I use more battery she has, big plus on long rides.

Its small things on bike that make big difference
1) Integrated lights a must, no more pissing around with battery lights that have to be removed when locking bike up. Headlight was OK for commuting on light streets, might want extra light if riding regularly on unlit paths at speed.
2) Caffe lock that uses same key as battery, option to use cable with it.
3) IGH, being able to change gears when stopped at lights, must for commuting. Plus easy to clean single speed chain and maybe option to fit totally enclosed chainguard for even lower maintenance.
4) Little mud flaps on end of mud guards, stops water flicking up on back of rack and rider.
5) solid fittedmudguards with good clearance between wheel. No rubbing when guards take small knocks.

Magura HS11 rim brakes seem upto job, may need to be better setup. LBS did very poor job even after taking back. Clearances between pads and rims are not even and look little wider than recommended 1-1.5mm. Going have to do bit more research online, before tackling them.

No regrets with lower price and spec first ebike as didn't know if wife would enjoy it. With 2nd bike hapyy to spend extra on higher spec bike.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Update on bike.
10 weeks and 1500kms later, bike has been almost faultless, just one loss screw on mudguard, easy fixed.

Wife loves it which is most important thing, finds it very comfortable, including seat and easier to handle than previous 28" bike. She hit 55km/h on one downhill section where on old bike she'd kept under 30kmh, its definitely improved her confidence level. I've been impressed with quality of components, not often everything is spot on with no component upgrades need.
Fit a couple quality panniers and maybe handlebar bag and you are ready for long tour.

Magura HS11 brakes are excellent especially once I set them up correctly. They get a regular workout as her commute involves applying them for 5 minutes down steep windy path.

Front light is excellent, especially for commuting when you want to be seen, stands out at night and in day. Its worth leaving on permanently even on bright days. OK for short unlit sections of road or paths. If riding few kms on unlit roads I'd add extra 800+ lumen light. I'd say its equivalent to my Cateye 300. Tail light is nothing special, good but not quite up there with better USB lights.

Nexus IGH comes into its own when commuting, being able to change when stopped is big plus or quickly dropping down few gears when caught out by unexpected hill.

Lowered factory gearing slightly, change chainring from 18t to 16t due to steep hills on regular commute. Wife now climbs most hills in 2nd while before she needed 1st quite often.

Bosch Activeline vs old bike's Shimano STEPS.
Activeline is quieter and smoother. STEPs is far better/faster climber and eco mode is more powerful. Wife finds Activeline eco mode to weak to be useful, while she'd regularly use STEPs.

Highly recommend this bike or the 1000 bigger 28" wheel version.

Reactions: evening2005

Related Articles

Advertisers