Getting a fatty up that hill

donkeykong

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2015
Greetings,

I'm looking into the possibility of getting an e-bike for my daily commute. I'm 17 stone 6 ft 2, and my workplace is approximately 2 miles away all downhill. Obviously, coming home uphill is a nightmare and puts me off using my regular bike (as I have to push it up some very steep hills). Is an e-bike suitable for me? What would I look for?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I don't commute on a bike (a lady of leisure in fact :D) but I too was worried about a 3 mile hill which I have to tackle every time I cycle. I bought a Juicy Classic, which has a standard rear hub motor and she gets up the hill with no problem at all. I'm lighter and shorter than you however, and I'm sure that other more experienced folk will soon come along to help you with particulars of your specific requirements very soon.

Just to say though that these modern leccy bikes are pretty good at what they do and I shouldn't think a 2 mile hill will be a problem.

donkeykong

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2015
I'm more concerned about the steepness of the hills. On average they're around 5 to 10 % gradient, but there's one which is probably close to 20 to 25 % gradient.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I'm more concerned about the steepness of the hills. On average they're around 5 to 10 % gradient, but there's one which is probably close to 20 to 25 % gradient.
Hi DK
You'd be very welcome to have a test ride at any of our electric bike retailers dotted around the country. If you can get over to the Peak District (Buxton or New Mills) you could try on some decent hills too. Buying without trying can be a serious mistake as all bikes are not the same.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Anything with a BPM motor....try to find a dealer who has SWX type and BPM motored e-bikes....the difference is immediately apparent. Having said that some customers find the SWX does their job (Lancslass !),usually £200 cheaper.
Hydraulic brakes on that long downhill may be useful.
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Although I am only 78 kg as soon as you add two pannier bags of shopping or better still a whole trailer load (40 kg) the >130 kg total rolling weight is quite easy to obtain! My hydraulic front rim brake has given me total confidence in my ability to stop. Before it I was riding on a wing and a prayer that no child, dog or little old lady would try crossing the road in front of me...

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Where are you located DK? If you are nearby you can see how my converted mtb chews the hills up and spits them out with contempt! I'm heavier than you and have no problems on longer hills than you mention.