Getting a powered hub wheel rebuilt

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I made tentative enquiries at Cycle Surgery yesterday and they said they could only rebuild a wheel if it was removed from the bike completely. I wouldn't trust them to disconnect the electrics and I haven't looked yet to see if I can do it, so should I be able to find someone who can hand build it on the bike or is there a better way?

Edit:
The retailer can get it rebuilt but needs to send it off and I need to cover the 3rd party costs, I just hope this time it will last longer than a week. I would have deleted the thread but the forum doesn't have the option.

Last edited:

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
I made tentative enquiries at Cycle Surgery yesterday and they said they could only rebuild a wheel if it was removed from the bike completely. I wouldn't trust them to disconnect the electrics and I haven't looked yet to see if I can do it, so should I be able to find someone who can hand build it on the bike or is there a better way?

Edit:
The retailer can get it rebuilt but needs to send it off and I need to cover the 3rd party costs, I just hope this time it will last longer than a week. I would have deleted the thread but the forum doesn't have the option.
I really wouldn't want to rebuild a wheel in the bike frame. You really need to use a proper dishing tool and truing jig to get it right. A competent bike shop OUGHT to be able to take the wheel out OK!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You really need to use a proper dishing tool and truing jig to get it right.
For much of the life of the bicycle such things weren't used Chris, they weren't around in the trade I knew as a youngster, and wheels were perfectly built by people who'd been doing it for a lifetime. Dishing tools and jigs now make life easier and save a bit of time, but a craftsman's skills can do the job just as well.

Frankly some of the more fancy overpriced and over-engineered wheel building jigs I've seen are a matter for hilarity. We used an old pair of forks in a vice and the results didn't suffer the number of broken spokes so common these days!

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
My trueing jig cost £15 and the dishing tool a tenner and they've certainly earned their keep. I wouldn't want to build a wheel without them (and I wouldn't trust most bike shops to either!) Still I'm not a professional cycle mechanic!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing wrong with that Chris. :)

I was thinking of some of the exotic jigs shown at some of the international cycle shows, bristling with accessories and costing several hundreds of pounds.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've dropped it into the retailer today who will take the wheel off and get it rebuilt, both the retailer and the manufacturer have been very helpful with this.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good Mussels, I hope they get it right for you this time.