Getting flats about every 2 weeks

aab1

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Ever since I got my ebike I've been getting flats nearly every 2 weeks (compared to 1 in 10 years with regular bikes), probably costs me more in tire repairs than it costs a xar driver in gas for the same mileage.

Are all electric bikes like this? At the bike shop (didnt buy there, they're against ebikes) they keep telling me it's because my motor wheel by itself weighs more than a complete non electric bike (good thing they haven't seen the 120 pound bike!).

I also saw last time they put my tire pressure at 60psi, I assume to reduce the likely hood of a flat.

My flats are also all (it seems) pinch flats (not due to puncture but due to a shock on the tire from a bump or hole which cuts the inside air chamber).

Is there anything I can do? Do you also have flats this often? It may help to mention driving on road in Canada is more bumpy than most off road driving with all the enormous holes every 2 feet in the street.

My rear suspension spring is also a 100lbs/in which I think is much too strong, it's as if I had no suspension at all in the back due to the extremely stiff spring, my old bike had a 400lbs/in spring, much less than half my current one.

So what can I do to avoid flats? I try to keep an eye on the road ahead of me to avoid all those enormous holes but today I ran at 35 km/h into a HUGE hole the city had cut into the street with no warning signs or anything, both my tires popped the second they hit the hole, I had to walk miles back home with my 120 pound bike! It also wasn't a hole I could simply avoid, they had "carved" a sort of 1-2 foot wide, maybe 4-6 inch deep groove that crossed the street with very sharp 90 degree edges, my only option would have been to stop, but I was going at 35 and saw it at the last second, but the second I saw it, I immediately knew both tires would be slashed the next second, and indeed they were.

Is there a way to stop getting so many flats? Should I try inflating to 90 or even 120 psi? It seems like it would need at least that (what's the pressure supposed to be anyway?)!

Thanks

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Bad luck! That number of flats is not what me or others on this forum normally experience. If its happening that often, something is wrong. First step is to work out exactly what is happening. If you analyse the inner after the puncture you should be able to see exactly where/how it was pinched, which should give some clues. For example, you may need to upgrade the tape which stops the ends of the spokes from breaking the inner, if that is what is happening.

I haven't seen a picture but your bike is a good bit heavier and going faster than UK electric bikes (our limits are 40kg bike weight (88lb) with most being nearer to 25kg/55lb, and 25kmh powered + pedal faster if you can or downhill!). So I would start with the wheels - you may need wider ones to spread the load for that weight at those powered speeds.

Others will know more than me on the impact of tyre pressure on pinching and the merits of different types of inners for your bike weight, however I can safely say that the suspension should not be a factor - most on-road UK bikes don't have any.

Good luck in sorting it out

Frank

FatPete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2007
London
A small amount of air pumped into the tube before you push the tyre back over rim reduces the chance of pinching. Also buy only quality tubes, there are some really rubbish ones about at the moment. Oh! and kelvar reinforced tyres (like Michelins ) are worth their weight in gold. Good luck, FatPete.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
That seems like a very heavy bike at 120lbs, ~55Kgs!!! :eek:

For your info my Twist fully loaded with both panniers come in at about 35 - 40 Kgs, and with me on it it takes it to between 140 - 150Kgs. I have my tyres inflated to 60psi and regularly go on and off 6 inch kerbs no problem. I always buy thicker tubes and I have the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on.

I fix my own punctures, and replace the tube as neccessary, I wouldnt take it into the shop as the cost of their repairing it would be far more than the cost of a brand new tube altogether (I get 3 tubes for £10)!

I always carry a puncture repair kit and tools (small multi-tool thing), a can of the 'instant-inflate and repair' stuff, and a spare tube. If I get a puncture (and Ive only had 1 in over a thousand miles which was a blow out), I use the instant-inflate first. If that doesnt work then I take the wheel off and change the tube, fixing the puncture when I get to my destination.

My nearby bike shops also dont like me having an electric bike. They really are only interested if I am considering 'joining the club' of MTB'ers and road racers and the like that are very big in the UK, strictly for sport. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps

John

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
120 pounds is a very heavy bike, well over the max weight we're allowed in the UK and over twice the weight of a typical UK bike. It could be that all that weight is squashing the tyres and causing pinch flats everytime you run over a kerb or similar object. Perhaps, as suggested by Frank alternative tyres more suited to the weight would help.
Many of us in the UK use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres which are virtually imune to penetration punctures, they are also quite rigid which may help with pinch flats but I'm not sure they're designed for such a heavy load.
I have experience of three electric bikes and have not experienced an excessive number of punctures, certainly no more than I'd expect on a conventional bike, and I've never had a pinch flat. All the bikes were less than half the weight of yours though.

Last edited:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Pot Holes & Punctures

Ever since I got my ebike I've been getting flats nearly every 2 weeks (compared to 1 in 10 years with regular bikes), probably costs me more in tire repairs than it costs a xar driver in gas for the same mileage.

Are all electric bikes like this? At the bike shop (didnt buy there, they're against ebikes) they keep telling me it's because my motor wheel by itself weighs more than a complete non electric bike (good thing they haven't seen the 120 pound bike!).

I also saw last time they put my tire pressure at 60psi, I assume to reduce the likely hood of a flat.

My flats are also all (it seems) pinch flats (not due to puncture but due to a shock on the tire from a bump or hole which cuts the inside air chamber).

Is there anything I can do? Do you also have flats this often? It may help to mention driving on road in Canada is more bumpy than most off road driving with all the enormous holes every 2 feet in the street.

My rear suspension spring is also a 100lbs/in which I think is much too strong, it's as if I had no suspension at all in the back due to the extremely stiff spring, my old bike had a 400lbs/in spring, much less than half my current one.

So what can I do to avoid flats? I try to keep an eye on the road ahead of me to avoid all those enormous holes but today I ran at 35 km/h into a HUGE hole the city had cut into the street with no warning signs or anything, both my tires popped the second they hit the hole, I had to walk miles back home with my 120 pound bike! It also wasn't a hole I could simply avoid, they had "carved" a sort of 1-2 foot wide, maybe 4-6 inch deep groove that crossed the street with very sharp 90 degree edges, my only option would have been to stop, but I was going at 35 and saw it at the last second, but the second I saw it, I immediately knew both tires would be slashed the next second, and indeed they were.

Is there a way to stop getting so many flats? Should I try inflating to 90 or even 120 psi? It seems like it would need at least that (what's the pressure supposed to be anyway?)!

Thanks
Hello aab:
You have identified the problem quite clearly. It is the potholes you are forced to ride thru'.
The speed at which you ride means that you have little, if any, time to find a precise 'route' to avoid them. I never had punctures on my Touring bike (700C x 32) until one day I hit the kerb fair and square, after lunch at a cafe/restaurant in France. It was not alcohol related: just the road camber.
Typically there was a puncture on the left and right of the tube.
Here in the UK one can kick up a fuss with the Highway Authority who is responsible for keeping the carriageway in good repair; free from danger to users. It is possible, if you have stomach for the long haul, to get compensation for loss or damage. Photography is a great help in establishing the claim and the state of the road in question.
I don't think that even Schwalbe marathon + tyres with their good record of "Puncture proofness" will help with the side pinches when the tyre is spread out across the sharp(ish) edges of the rim. They are designed more for avoiding the annoying punctures brought about by those tiny flints and thorns (in the UK we have the thorns every hedge cutting season: the farmers are very reluctant to clear up after the cutting is finished for the day). Technically it is against the law to leave debris on the public highway.
The authorities say "Have a quiet word with the farmer" :eek: I rather have a puncture.
Are all your roads just as bad as one another? Could you not plan a better route even a few more miles would be better and less time consuming that those punctures.
Sorry I cannot think of a suitably robust tyre that would serve your purpose.
Best wishes.
Peter

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Just thinking on a bit, you have you thought of trying 'solid' tyres like these

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sheldon Brown doesn't think much of airless tires, but what else are you going to do I don't know? One thing he says on his site though is, in an air filled tire the entire tube of air provides against shock, and in airless, it's only the area right around the impact. That could mean a bent rim on a severe shock.

Aren't certain mountain bike tires off road more rugged? Those take a lot of abuse from what I've seen.

Can you get those on your bike? You'd sacrifice efficiency, but it'd might be worth it.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
...adding, though, even off-road tires have pretty good suspension on the bikes, so you still might need some sort of way to beef up the shock mechanism.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi aab1

Sorry to hear of your puncture problem, is your bike still the nova-i, 24" wheels, net weight 38.8kg you were recently able to replace the controller for?

What make of tyre, tyre width and wheel rim width have you been using, and have you tried different tyres and/or tyre widths, and inner tubes? That may be a big factor in your problems since, though its heavy, other bikes can be as heavy & not have problems, so I'd look at that first: maybe a more suitable tyre & width for the rim width will work better?

I don't know if it might help, but what about filling the tubes with "slime" as some do, as a last resort if tyre change doesnt help?

Could be your inner tubes need to be stronger too?

Hope that helps :) good luck with getting your controller & pedal sensor sorted too btw.

Stuart.