Getting on and off a bike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
...said person who is ghost pedaling step through Brompton ;)
My electrified 20" wheeled Dahon Halios P8 folder gets me to work sweat free, that's what it's specifically for - I slow jog and circuit train for exercise, including a lot of kicks at various heights. Getting on and off the Espresso is no problem.

(Not my Espresso, but I wish it was)

Last edited:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I'm not sure if it's age and I don't bend so well, or the rear rack with bags I've fitted catching my leg, but I'm struggling a bit to get on and off my mountain bike. I don't think it's helps I have a horizontal crossbar though.
Next bike I buy could do with being a step through as that looks bliss. Anyone else think they are an accident waiting to happen? Ha... If you are, your not alone.
Was worse today with my wets on. The plastic trousers add difficulty hoping on and off.
Got some ideas I've found online ,so I'll give those a try.
Also I starting to think the gravel drive we have is not a good solid place to start off or stop.
I have the same problem because after a new knee op, it would only bend to 90 degrees. So had to shorten the cranks AND raise the saddle considerably so that the leg could cope with the 'over the top' part of the crank rotation. I have to set the pedal as high as possible and stand on it when getting on the bike so there is less height to swing the other leg over. Easier on the bike with the throttle but have to be quick with the newer MTB. For getting off, since my feet barely touch the ground, the thing is down in reverse! The MTB also has a dropper seat post which I can set low before getting on or off the bike to make things easier. The other thing you could do is lay the bike on the ground. Step over it with one leg, then pull it vertically upwards. Not elegant but saves some muscle ache from trying to stretch your legs upwards so much.

Reactions: Wayners

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Dropper seatpost. Absolute godsend.
Push it down, swing leg over, hit the lever and it pops back up behind you. My bike has a rack and rack pack+panniers on it and i can about clear that, so also having the post dropped right down makes it super easy to get on or off.
Provided the dropper post is not from Giant perhaps. The one fitted to my (Giant) MTB is on its second set of strips of plastic! which stop the saddle from rotating. They are fitted to prevent damage to the alloy sections which slide up and down. No spares were available in the UK according to Giant, so I cut my own. Did not last too long so now considering brass as it is used by other dropper post manufacturers.

Related Articles

Advertisers