Shock absorber seat post

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Hi would appreciate the benefit of others experience here.
I have reached an age where comfort is creeping up my priorities list. I would like to add a shock absorber seat post to my new bike but the range is wide from £15 ebay ones to £80 + ones, so it may be easy to waste money at either end of the scale.
Can anyone offer advice on the subject?
Experience of other purchases tells me the lowest price one are very often a total waste of money, but it's not always the case that the most expensive one is best.
Hope someone can help here.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Cane Creek Thudbuster is the other well known name.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Back and to the rear as it operates. It is also adjustable.

I believe there are different spring strengths available to better match the rider's weight.

What bike do you have?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Thanks
I looked at that one and wondered if it would be a good option.
How do you get on with it? Is it comfortable? I saw a video on YouTube and it seems to move back and forwards as it operates
Back and to the rear as it operates. It is also adjustable.

I believe there are different spring strengths available to better match the rider's weight.

What bike do you have?
I just recently bought a Haibike trekking 4, it was on offer and I jumped in. Not realy used it yet as I'm very much a fair weather cyclist and waiting for dryer days.
I already had a halfords carrera e bike which is very good but I hope this one will be an upgrade, and may sell the old one if possible.
I put a cheap telescopic seat post on the carrera bike but found that the post is too long even in the lowest possible setting and not really suitable.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks

Kinekt seems to be a best buy if you can afford it.
Interesting video but need to strike a balance with price quality, I'm not a heavy user or daily commuter, but don't want to waste money on rubbish.
The suntour one is looking favourite at the moment just looking at any offers available,

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Thanks
I looked at that one and wondered if it would be a good option.
How do you get on with it? Is it comfortable? I saw a video on YouTube and it seems to move back and forwards as it operates

I just recently bought a Haibike trekking 4, it was on offer and I jumped in. Not realy used it yet as I'm very much a fair weather cyclist and waiting for dryer days.
I already had a halfords carrera e bike which is very good but I hope this one will be an upgrade, and may sell the old one if possible.
I put a cheap telescopic seat post on the carrera bike but found that the post is too long even in the lowest possible setting and not really suitable.
I have a Suntour NCX seatpost and it moves down and to the rear as one goes over bumps.

It seems to work fine and adds a bit of comfort, I'd recommend one easily.

Your new bike looks great and it looks like there would be plenty of room for a Suntour post.

Nice big 27.5 x 2.2 inch tyres on your bike so another thing you can do to add comfort is to not inflate your tyres too much, 40 PSI is plenty. But apparently the higher the pressure the less chance of punctures, but I've had no problems.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I'm quite pleased with the bike especially at the offer price, it looks very good so I just jumped in.
Looking forward to giving it a good test run, where I live is very hilly with few level roads I don't think a none e bike would be an option, it's a bit frustrating looking out at grey skies and rain but hopefully we are going the right way now.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I'm embarrassed to admit I have this one Screenshot_20240217-161150.png

Someone here suggested it

It's a Zoom, I haven't adjusted it and I'm 105 kg, and it is quite subtle but moves up and down over bumps and seems well damped (not too springy or bouncy)

If I was lighter I think it would be too stiff, I think you can adjust it though.

Much better than no suspension, but I can't compare it with anything else

Reactions: thelarkbox

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I'm quite pleased with the bike especially at the offer price, it looks very good so I just jumped in.
Looking forward to giving it a good test run, where I live is very hilly with few level roads I don't think a none e bike would be an option, it's a bit frustrating looking out at grey skies and rain but hopefully we are going the right way now.
Don't forget, if you do get a Suntour, you will need a seatpost shim, plenty on Amazon or eBay. I think the size you'll need is 27.2mm to 31.6mm, but you'll need to check that.

Summer's coming!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Don't forget, if you do get a Suntour, you will need a seatpost shim, plenty on Amazon or eBay. I think the size you'll need is 27.2mm to 31.6mm, but you'll need to check that.

Summer's coming!

Not necessarily. You can buy Suntour seatposts in different sizes, but I guess 27.2mm and shim is a smart move.

• Useful
Reactions: Waspy

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I've installed a Loam dropper post from PNW components, dropper posts are normally associated with the MTB fraternity but I was attracted to the possibility of lowering my Brooks B17 by 125mm on demand from a lever on the handlebars....Why?
Much easier to mount and dismount, at 65 years of age I want to make getting on and off a lot easier.
At lights, etc the seat drops on demand so that both feet are firmly on the ground without getting off the seat.
The icing on the cake is that the Loam has 40mm of adjustable air suspension built in depending on your weight...The only seat post that has adjustable air suspension as far as I know.

Absolutely love it!.....£235 delivered from the PNW website(seat post and trigger)

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
I was looking at different sites including ebay yesterday, then this morning I received an offer of discount from a seller so 31.6mm suntour post ordered let's see how that works out.