Getting the stated mileage out of a battery

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi

Still to get my bike. Just trying to get my head around battery usage, if the bike is advertised to get 50 miles on flat roads out of a charge, is that 50 miles on the throttle only, or would that be 50 miles at Level 1 assist?

Obviously weight, wind etc a factor, just trying to find out which end of the scale is used to determine how far one can go

Thanks guys
Running your bicycle motor efficiently is the only way to preserve your battery capacity for when you need it to assist you. That can be achieved by cycling in the correct gear and at the optimum speed of the motor.

Akin to when we had the hike in petrol price and car drivers reduced their speed to conserve fuel.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Also batteries do slowly degrade over time, so the more you use your bike the more value you will get from your battery. Get riding.

Blair

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 20, 2017
Perth Australia
The information about range is pretty useless as you have found out.
If asked, I usually look at the shape of my customers before replying.
If the person looks like 12st or under, that will be 8WH per mile, then add 1WH per mile for each additional stone. 14st = 10WH, 16st = 12WH.
After guessing the approximate battery usage, I divide the battery capacity by the WH to get to the miles. For example, most of my bikes are sold with 36V 15WH battery, 36V * 15AH = 540WH. If you weigh 14st, I'd say 50-55 miles on a full charge.
On my website, I divide the battery capacity in WH by 11 before rounding it down to 0 or 5.