Gi Bike - have you got any feedback for the development team?

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
We've published this story on the new Gi electric bike prototype today. The team behind the bike will shortly start a Kickstarter crowd funding campaign to get their full size, folding, smart e-bike into production.

It's a striking bike, has some neat features, but is there anything you would add to what they've done? Do you like the look of it, what about the features? The Gi Bike team contacted Pedelecs looking for feedback before they get their Kickstarter campaign underway. They'll be along shortly to say hello and see what everyone's thoughts are. (They've paid for trade forum membership to get your feedback by the way.) This is the first time the forum has been used in this way so it would be great if we could give them lots of useful feedback :)

Reactions: JuicyBike

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I would imagine it is very wobbly, the seat doesn't look like it will go high enough, it looks cramped with the seat and bars too close together. the bars are too high, fitting mudguards would be tricky, it doesn't look like it'll have much battery capacity.

Reactions: GiBike

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
No mudguards yet for city cyclists.
Ditch the smart phone or get left behind by the next generation of phones.
Hidden batteries mean trouble in getting replacements.
Get realistic about the mileage.
Ditch the rubber band drive for a chain.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Nothing wrong with carbon belt drive.

Reactions: Artstu

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Market is upscale commuters in large city like London I'm guessing. Bike is too big for London trains yet not set up for long distance all weather commuting that you'll need if you're not using trains.
Most places that'll store a bike that big would be able to store full size bikes anyway. What I mean is that the main folding attraction is either for taking on trains, storing under desks, storing inside a flat (likely upstairs carry) or in the back of a car for occasional weekend leisure riding.
A folding bike that size is used on suburban overland trains in all weathers and would be expected to do some decent mileage not just pop to the shops.
Love the design ideas but it's utility bikes that float my goat. Yet to be convinced!

Reactions: mike killay

GiBike

Official Trade Member
Mar 17, 2014
Hi! I'm Agustin cofounder and designer of the Gi. I think you don't get the people we are targeting with our Bike. First of all the MAIN point of the folding capability is for getting on the lift, and you can do it as fast as you would if you didn't have a bike at all.
Second, the millage, 40+ its from testings on a assistance of 3 (from the 5 available setups) on a mixed high and low hills roads, I've lived in London for 3 months and London it's rather flat, so you will be able to go more than 50 miles. This comes from ACTUAL tests on the PROTOTYPE, they are as real numbers as they can be! and it includes the lights turned on, and you charge only ONE battery.
We believe it's a solution for some people, of course it won't fit everyone, but at least we think will work for many.
On the seat thing, it can be adjusted, in many positions, you have to see it in action to understand, the frame it's so different, looks strange, but it's comfortable.

For last, the mudguards are coming soon, we are finishing the development. They are not online yet because we are not happy with the quality of our provider but as soon as we manage to solve those problems (hopefully they will be ready for the kickstarter) Wi will post them.

Please keep leaving your concerns, they improve our product. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write.

Reactions: Willber G

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Besides its quirky look (sure to attract vandals), its only outstanding quality is the 3 second fold.

The rest is not good:

1. radial lacing with too few spokes - leading to weak wheels and poor ride quality
2. Lack of suspension. If you are a lazy cyclist, you'll pay with your back.
3. Probably heavier and bulkier than the Go Cycle design.