Giant Fathom E+ creaking sound when peddling

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I’ve only had my Giant Fathom E+ 3 for a month now and I am hearing a creaking sound when peddling. The sound seems to come from the pedals and handle bars area.

I took the bike back to the shop where I bought it from and they tested to see if all the nuts were tightened properly and everything was fine. What could be the problem? The creaking only happens when Im peddling.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Pedal axle bearings.
Lift the bike so the rear wheel is off the ground, hold a pedal as if your foot was on in it and turn the crank applying the rear brakes a bit at a time to create some resistance - check both pedals this way. You made need to re-grease the ball bearings.

Headset Bearings.
With bike on the ground, place one hand on the top of the fork/headset bearing tube where the spacers are located, apply front brake and rock the bike forward and backward. If you can feel/hear clicking or excess rocking movement. Reset the headset bearing load by slackening the stem bracket on the fork steerer then gently tighten the centre screw on top of the fork steerer - don't overdo this, make sure the handlebars can be rotated L to R without being tight.

Front forks.
With a light silicon spray, apply a little to the shiny/chrome area of the forks - depress the forks a few times to lube the forks seals.

Chain.
Check there isn't a tight link /loose link.

Check the motor protection cover is not catching the crank/spindle.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Should be a bit of grease on the crank splines, and the bolts need to be pretty tight. Just be aware that sometimes creaking can come from the saddle when pedalling. These little things can be very irritating; hope you get it sorted soon.