Giant FSA "custom" crankset.

D

Deleted member 4366

That looks the same as the one you already have regarding wear. Are you sure that you need to replace yours?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That looks the same as the one you already have regarding wear. Are you sure that you need to replace yours?
I thought I was! The teeth are all leaning a bit but it's the chain suck I want to stop and thought all new would fix it. Because the crank is powered and it usually does it going up hill it jams the chain, is the devils own job to get it back out and has made a right mess of the chain stay. On one occasion it seriously bent the chain so i am a bit paranoid when changing now and do it carefully at slow rpms.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its thick rubber tape and loads off ppl use it on there chain stays ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
These arent scratches from a bouncing chain. It's deep gouges into the metal. When the chain is jammed in, there are only 2 ways to get it out. Undo the retaining nut or force the bike to go backwards which pulls it out. The former means carrying a big spanner and the latter is cringeworthy at best. Is there any sort of guard to stop it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think that stuff is the best you will get tbh and try the new chain ring to stop it doing it in the first place.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice article here about chain-suck and associated counter-measures and remedies.

Normally, it's only the Bosch motor with the small drive sprocket that suffers from suck, especially if you have a long derailleur without much tension. I've never before heard anybody mention it on this forum when they have a large chainwheel.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/workbench-how-to-un-suck-your-chainsuck

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have never had chain suck on my bosch bike lol:p

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nice article here about chain-suck and associated counter-measures and remedies.

Normally, it's only the Bosch motor with the small drive sprocket that suffers from suck, especially if you have a long derailleur without much tension. I've never before heard anybody mention it on this forum when they have a large chainwheel.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/workbench-how-to-un-suck-your-chainsuck
Nice one. Describes my situation exactly and offers a solution with a home made peeler .. Will look at that.
Changing under load to be avoided. Not so easy to do on an ebike as the motor tends to over run a bit which is why easing off for a quick downshift to the small ring is where it happens.

D

Deleted member 4366

Look for a bent tooth on your chain-wheel. If there is one, bend it back with pliers

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I've had it (chainsuck) on my Yamaha Haibike, only happens when you shift before the motor cuts out. I try to make sure that I am in the correct chainring before the going gets tough, if I'm climbing I'm on the small chainring. Of course it can be tricky to get this right but you soon become used to it.

D

Deleted member 4366

Those ones that look chipped off are most likely supposed to be like that. look at the picture of the new one. every tooth is a different shape to help with the derailment.