Giant Lafree battery charging

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
When I put my Lafree battery on to charge, after a few minutes it goes from the red light illuminated, meaning 'charging' to the slow blinking meaning 'fully charged'

However the battery (which was fully discharged) is only showing 1 light, indicating it has hardly charged at all.

Does anyone know if:
a. the battery has had it
b. the charger is faulty
c. I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Virtually certain to be the charger faulty Frank, a very common fault with these. You'll find everything you need to know here about this.

A footnote: Powerstream mentioned in there sometimes supply a 1.8 amp alternative, but that is also ok for the job.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks Flecc,
I've been reading your site and also your previous post on here while you posted that reply! I think as the first step I'll be giving Mr Vita Electric a call in the morning...!
Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's also just a slight possibility of the battery being dud if it hasn't been charged for several months Frank. That's a very unusual happening, but as this was a demonstrator it's just possible.

A pity that you may to be the wrong side of London for it, or you could have checked the charger/battery against mine. I'm just south of Croydon.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
From what I've read (all written by you I think, Flecc!) I'm pretty sure it's the charger; he told me the battery had been charged regularly about once a month while he'd had it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds certain then Frank. A to B magazine also have extensive knowledge of these charger problems on the Lafree Twist series and have reported on it regularly.

Don't throw out the charger though, the plug is needed for a replacement charger if it doesn't come from Giant, they aren't available in the UK.