giant lafree

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
Hi all
I am thinking of buying a new giant lafree but it is only a 3 speed is it worth having it converted to a 7 speed if so which make,(I am told you cant buy the 5 speed hub anymore.
The other bike I ride is a ezee touq,which is a fantastic bike but is a head down and go sort of bike(if you know what I mean)
I often go on rides of 20/25mls at a time (trying to miss steep hills of course)and for this it is fine,but I want another bike just to ride round the country lanes head up looking around at the scenery not particularly going anywhere!stop off for refreshments and a leisurely ride back travelling about 10/12mph
(To slow for touq).Do you think the giant would fill this role.
I have tried some of the cheaper models but dont like them seem very low on power and of questionable reliability john

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Lafree is also quite low powered John, but with drive through the gears will handle hills ok. The 3 speed Nexus model is ok for hills up to 12% (1 in 8), or even 14% (1 in 7) if you're fit. Mine was like that. I changed to the SRAM P5 5 speed hub because I also tow large trailers up hills.

You have been misinformed about 5 speed. It was the Nexus 4 speed which was discontinued some while ago. The SRAM 5 speed is still current, and the wholesalers Wiggle Cycle have received a newly manufactured batch only this week and they have them in stock.

Whether it's worth you paying to have one fitted is a personal choice, cost around £200. I'd advise you buy the bike first after a trial ride and then decide after trying it whether you want the extra gears. My advice is against the 7 speed from any maker. The Nexus 7 isn't brilliant and only has the same 250% range as the SRAM 5 so gains nothing. The SRAM 7 isn't as nice a hub as the 5 and isn't quite as tough. The hub strength is a vital factor since it has to take both your power and the motor's. Also, an electric bike doesn't need lots of gears due to it's additional power.

The Twist is pedelec only by the way, power only while you pedal, no twistgrip. I've got the Torq as well, and they make good partners for the different purposes. The Twist averages 12 mph in my area so seems ideal for your country lane use.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

Hi john
i had my twistlite a few weeks and at first had my doubts it was so different from my last leccy bike which was a powabyke more like a moped:confused:
But whats so good about the twist is that its a great bike to ride without power better for fitness and when you come to a nasty :mad: hill you can flick a switch and up you go it deserves its 5 star rating a modern day classic. nigel. southampton.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
First announcement: The Lafree Twist story

The forthcoming February issue of A to B magazine will contain the definitive Lafree Twist story by the editor who championed it from the beginning.

You can order the A to B magazine from their website