Giant Road e+1 Winter Riding

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had decided not to do this but the mild weather makes it too hard to resist. The bike soon gets into a mess with the front mech being the biggest area of concern so looking at Mudguards. There are some easy fit universal ones that clamp to the stays, but dont offer any forward protection from the rear wheel.. I Have been googling without much luck and wonder if anyone has a solution..
Thanks....

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
I had the same problem Gubbins, even with a Mudhugger rear guard...I solved it with a piece of 3mm sheet rubber cut to size/shape so it could move with the suspension (not a problem on your road bike, but hopefully it'll help)...
DSC_0079.JPG

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi Gubbins, I fitted mudguards to mine.. I will post details and photos as soon as I can. It's a bit of a struggle but with time and patience you will succeed.

Reactions: LeighPing

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Have looked at these but there aren't any holes at the back of the chainstay and being a crank drive the bb area doesn't offer fitment options either..
Oh 'eck - hadn't considered that - that's going to be a problem on my GreenWay as well :(

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
The Mudguards I bought are The SMS Bluemels 700c size.. I bought the 35mm size but you can get wider. If you take off your back wheel you will spot a threaded insert on the bottom bracket to fasten to although you will need a cable tie for the top fixing, it works well and isn't noticeable. On your front mudguard you will have to bend one of the stays to fit around the brake caliper.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
The Mudguards I bought are The SMS Bluemels 700c size.. I bought the 35mm size but you can get wider. If you take off your back wheel you will spot a threaded insert on the bottom bracket to fasten to although you will need a cable tie for the top fixing, it works well and isn't noticeable. On your front mudguard you will have to bend one of the stays to fit around the brake caliper.

Attachments

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
With you so far.. The front looks self supporting, but how have you secured the rear guard at the front mech point, which is the area i am most unhappy about getting wet and dirty? and after last nights ride it is pretty bad..
Ah, Just reread earlier one. Threaded insert..

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Makes a note to oneself.......Don't buy a bike without mudguards...'D
You had better write that down in big... cos it's a bit like buying food when your hungry.
Overhears in a bike shop..
Asstnt...Good morning sir how can I help?
Customer.. I like that red bike over there.
Asstnt.. what about the green one?
Customer.. don't like it..
Asstnt.. but it will take mudguards.
Customer.. it's summer.. who needs mudguards..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Got the guards and fitted reasonably easily.. but also got some marathon plus puncture proof winter tyres...
Wow what a job putting them on!
Either I have got really weak or tyres have got really hard so don't fancy a tube change at the side of the road with these guys...
In the end it was 2 cable ties and work that last 8 inches a bit at a time.. squeezing the oposite end as I inched it on. My hands are still trembling now 30 minutes later..