Giant Road e+1 Winter Riding

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
Can I ask what was the issue with the previous tyres that came on the bike?

Also, Crud roadracer mudguards have an additional plastic extension that's protects the front mech even more. I found them very fragile on the front, but I see there is now a Mk3 released.

I am hopefully purchasing the Road E+1 next week. I should have done this some time ago, but due to illness and surgery I haven't been able to. Thanks for your reviews and progress reports.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can I ask what was the issue with the previous tyres that came on the bike?

Also, Crud roadracer mudguards have an additional plastic extension that's protects the front mech even more. I found them very fragile on the front, but I see there is now a Mk3 released.

I am hopefully purchasing the Road E+1 next week. I should have done this some time ago, but due to illness and surgery I haven't been able to. Thanks for your reviews and progress reports.
They were more or less slicks and when out in the wet glancing down they looked like I was riding on water so decided I needed something with a bit of tread for the winter.
With regard to mudguards I wanted something to do the job and also look good..

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
ok. fair comment - the Cruds do look a bit... ewww, now I've seen the video. In terms of tyres.

Those pads I see are on the new version yes... :-( They self stick not glue, but it doesn't make them look any better.

I normally run non foldable wired Gatorskins for the puncture protection, and they normally do all seasons with no issues.

(I apologise if this is trying to teach a hen to suck eggs, its not aimed that way.) With all this kind of tyre, I have found them a trouble to fit and take off. The technique I have found most profitable, is to put the tyre 80% on, then grip either side of the tyre on the wheel, and push your hands away from you around the wheel. The aim is to try to gather all the loose, and push it towards the single point, furthest away. I still end up with really sore hands after, but it almost does it with out much hassle. I've broken all manner of tyre levers trying it the traditional way, plastic, carbon, and Ive bent metal ones....
Thank fully coming off isn't as hard.

P.s I'm just down the road from you in Accrington, I usually have the odd jaunt upto Skipton and around Bolton Abbey, lovely part of the world. Grassington is 100 mile round trip for me with a few lanes added, so I'll give you a wave if I see you about.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
ok. fair comment - the Cruds do look a bit... ewww, now I've seen the video. In terms of tyres.

Those pads I see are on the new version yes... :-( They self stick not glue, but it doesn't make them look any better.

I normally run non foldable wired Gatorskins for the puncture protection, and they normally do all seasons with no issues.

(I apologise if this is trying to teach a hen to suck eggs, its not aimed that way.) With all this kind of tyre, I have found them a trouble to fit and take off. The technique I have found most profitable, is to put the tyre 80% on, then grip either side of the tyre on the wheel, and push your hands away from you around the wheel. The aim is to try to gather all the loose, and push it towards the single point, furthest away. I still end up with really sore hands after, but it almost does it with out much hassle. I've broken all manner of tyre levers trying it the traditional way, plastic, carbon, and Ive bent metal ones....
Thank fully coming off isn't as hard.

P.s I'm just down the road from you in Accrington, I usually have the odd jaunt upto Skipton and around Bolton Abbey, lovely part of the world. Grassington is 100 mile round trip for me with a few lanes added, so I'll give you a wave if I see you about.
Ah yes, the fitting was a pig of a job, one went on easy and one didn't..
Hoping to get a few miles in this summer but due to family illness I cant be out for too long and def don't do 100 miles.. lol
Are you a roady? be interesting to get a proper roadies point of view if you get one..
Just clocked 1000 miles on mine and still think its the best bike I have owned..

BigAlSW6

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2017
Hampshire
I had decided not to do this but the mild weather makes it too hard to resist. The bike soon gets into a mess with the front mech being the biggest area of concern so looking at Mudguards. There are some easy fit universal ones that clamp to the stays, but dont offer any forward protection from the rear wheel.. I Have been googling without much luck and wonder if anyone has a solution..
Thanks....
I fitted SKS Bluemels to mine the rear fixings are on the inside of the seat stays and the front ones are obvious to see. Hope this helps

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
Ah yes, the fitting was a pig of a job, one went on easy and one didn't..
Hoping to get a few miles in this summer but due to family illness I cant be out for too long and def don't do 100 miles.. lol
Are you a roady? be interesting to get a proper roadies point of view if you get one..
Just clocked 1000 miles on mine and still think its the best bike I have owned..
Sort of a roady - I do 6000 ish road miles a year, but I'm probably the wrong side of 40 and over 15 stone. Ive had knee reconstruction surgery and just recently had a lump removal type op in the gentleman region, with one more to come. I did do regular 100 plus rides (every month or so) with a 250 mile target regime a week. For me its the total distance from a battery that will keep me happy. I'm going to need it to get back up to speed and just help my recovery My fav ride is the Bolton loop, Accrington > Haslingdon> Bolton > Chorley > Accrington - 64 miles, 4.5 hours on my road bike, with a 10 minute coffee stop. I can throw in a couple of hills to spice it up, but I am hoping to just enjoy riding again really. I haven't ridden on the road since July last year due to medical restrictions. I've been riding the trainer in the garage, so I should be road fit again quite quickly.. lets see.

Reactions: Gubbins

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Good luck with the recovery.;)

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
Some news...I speced the bike on Saturday and paid the deposit. Picking it up this Saturday coming. Discussed mud guards with the shop, and we are going to fit a set when collecting the bike. We could'nt see any suitable lugs in the pictures in the shop, and I forgot about looking on this thread.
How have you found your guards? Have they gone loose and wobbled about? Are they noisy? Not sure if you have ridden it much since fitting. Thanks in advance.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some news...I speced the bike on Saturday and paid the deposit. Picking it up this Saturday coming. Discussed mud guards with the shop, and we are going to fit a set when collecting the bike. We could'nt see any suitable lugs in the pictures in the shop, and I forgot about looking on this thread.
How have you found your guards? Have they gone loose and wobbled about? Are they noisy? Not sure if you have ridden it much since fitting. Thanks in advance.
I am out in the rain right now. My guards are fab. No rattles and no water getting on me or the bike

Reactions: Jimbobins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yep.. Sorry about the upside down photo.. just stopped for a drink and didn't realise.. and cant changeit.
Yes Guards or no Guards, that is the question.
I have jus ridden 30km in the rain, some on moorland roads that are covered with tractor droppings which would have made a right old mess of the bike, particularly around the front mech, not to mention up my back. Since fitting them I don't really get wet so most of the dirt and water I brought home must have been road spray..
Pics are of 30KM worth of riding in the rain.. And if it doesn't look kool, then I don't care..2017-03-29 15.03.33.jpg 2017-03-29 15.03.41.jpg 2017-03-29 15.03.54.jpg

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Yep.. Sorry about the upside down photo.. just stopped for a drink and didn't realise.. and cant changeit.
Yes Guards or no Guards, that is the question.
I have jus ridden 30km in the rain, some on moorland roads that are covered with tractor droppings which would have made a right old mess of the bike, particularly around the front mech, not to mention up my back. Since fitting them I don't really get wet so most of the dirt and water I brought home must have been road spray..
Pics are of 30KM worth of riding in the rain.. And if it doesn't look kool, then I don't care..View attachment 18413 View attachment 18414 View attachment 18415
Rusty pedals / Mudguards and not being cool arrgghhhh;)

BigAlSW6

Mar 17, 2017
Hampshire
No mine aren't at all noisy, but they don't look as good as yours as they don't have the rubber flaps despite being SKS paid £12.99 for them at Decathlon (sale price). How are you enjoying the bike? I really like mine.

Reactions: Jimbobins

BigAlSW6

Mar 17, 2017
Hampshire
No mine aren't at all noisy, but they don't look as good as yours as they don't have the rubber flaps despite being SKS paid £12.99 for them at Decathlon (sale price). How are you enjoying the bike? I really like mine.
my reply was meant for Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For me .. the guards make all the difference. That and the tyres as the semi slicks that came with it were a bit of a worry in the wet and frost.
Since fitting the guards I have done a good few hundred miles of winter riding and I like them.