Giant Road e+1 Winter Riding

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
I'm with you on the reason for guards. On my rode bike, I keep the rear guard on all year, (crud racer 2's) but I drop the extended tail piece.. I found the front guard doesn't offer much as I have an extra wide down tube which stops any splash up onto me. I think the result will be the same one this one. as well as the splash and debris guard that protects the motor. I do tend to take my bikes places in the car, like Scotland and ride home, so the guard usually fouls the boot floor on the front wheel and breaks. We wil lsee how long it lasts.
I think the guard is essential especially on the rear, and where I live it rains every day, so its a worth while addition.
The fixings look fairly sturdy, so once fastened up they shouldn't come loose. I'm not a weight weanie by any means, but I am a noise freak. I hate rubs and creaks and groan. For me the bike should be almost silent, except for the rattle of Kendal mint cake in the tool bag... and now... engine noise :) however that is going to sound.
I also purchased the garmin 820 with the bike, and seeing you have the rear radar and Fly 6/12, that's well protected by the guards also it just adds more ammo to have the guards on. Theres noting worse than a wet butt. Its actually quite amazing just how much drier you are with guards.

Thanks for the response.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'm with you on the reason for guards. On my rode bike, I keep the rear guard on all year, (crud racer 2's) but I drop the extended tail piece.. I found the front guard doesn't offer much as I have an extra wide down tube which stops any splash up onto me. I think the result will be the same one this one. as well as the splash and debris guard that protects the motor. I do tend to take my bikes places in the car, like Scotland and ride home, so the guard usually fouls the boot floor on the front wheel and breaks. We wil lsee how long it lasts.
I think the guard is essential especially on the rear, and where I live it rains every day, so its a worth while addition.
The fixings look fairly sturdy, so once fastened up they shouldn't come loose. I'm not a weight weanie by any means, but I am a noise freak. I hate rubs and creaks and groan. For me the bike should be almost silent, except for the rattle of Kendal mint cake in the tool bag... and now... engine noise :) however that is going to sound.
I also purchased the garmin 820 with the bike, and seeing you have the rear radar and Fly 6/12, that's well protected by the guards also it just adds more ammo to have the guards on. Theres noting worse than a wet butt. Its actually quite amazing just how much drier you are with guards.

Thanks for the response.
It's clearly personal choice, but after trying various guards over the years most where at best, useless.

The big problem was the grit and mud they gather making cleaning bike even more difficult. I also found that when you remove them, grit and water had stayed in the areas they connect o bike, sometimes damaging paperwork.

Finally, they look bloody awful;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0698_01.JPG

:)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What about the third choice maintain it!;)
I have seen how some on here maintain their bikes changing a muddied mtb into a showroom bicycle, and kudos to those that do this, but I just don't have the time to clean and dry after my daily 20 minute postal run let alone a longer ride. After yesterday's wet ride the bike is as I put it in the garage.. alongside a wet mtb after today post office run. And with regard to the pedals they apear to be unprotected Steel so will rust.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its like bumper shine n mud dont like sticking to it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah dont spray it on ur brake discs lol tho thats all i use and warm water b4 to clean it.

then use a degreaser for the cassette and chain if it needs it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
To be fair tho I don't consider cleaning to be maintainance. Clean or dirty the frame won't break or the motor will or won't fail. Makes no difference! Moving replaceable bits are different of course and I try to keep up with those. I got 800 miles out of the mtb chain before it hit the first marker on the park chain tool and the road bike is at 1100 now and still sweet.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772 and soundwave

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
20170401_190429.jpg Got the bike yesterday. The shop had already chosen a set of guards and fitted them, a set of Botranger ones, they will do the job. Of course it was raining, so I had to go for a ride out. A quick 25 miler, with abound 2000 ft of climbing. Considering I hadn't ridden since may last year, the bike was easy to get used too, and the seat pretty comfy. It dried up while I was out, and I burnt the battery down to 50%. Head winds and hills no longer figure. I'm supposed to be out riding now, but..... I'm goosed. I might go a little later.
A couple of niggles...
I think I have a 2016 bike, as dash is in km,S
I can't find a usb port for charging.
Over 16 mph the bike seems to retard my effort, so if I wanted to stay with a group of roadies on the flat, I couldn't.

Other than that, pretty damn awesome bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: IR772

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes it looks like the 2016 one same as mine.
You will never keep up with someone on a bike that's half the weight above 16mph on the flat unless they ease off a bit but if you have ever tried an emtb you will notice the difference..
As it's e-powered and I am not too worried about drag so I have softened the tyres a bit from the 100psi the shop pumped in to about 40 to 50psi... much nicer ride on the bumpy bits and still hard enough to prevent pinch flats. 2000km clocked to date.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
I ran the tyres at 80 psi, it rolled well. Wasn't to hard, but hard enough that I have a few bruises this morning.....
I had no idea that I would get a 2016 bike... I paid what I thought was right, and it wasn't mentioned what year the bike would be and it was discounted. I'm not bothered to be honest, as I run a garmin at the same time that gives me the stats.
There are also no strava segments at all in my local area for e bikes..... time to rock n roll.
Do you know if it has a micro usb Point?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I paid £2700 for mine last year and the 2917 ones are over £3000 i think. No usb out .. and with regard to ebike segments.. time to make some....
On yer bike as they say around here

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
Yeah I paid around the same, and the shop threw in a few extras. Like I said, I'm not really fussed.
The shop said they will investigate a lights connection when it goes in for its first service, so it may be possible to use that.
I am going out this afternoon, and I am going to take on a hill climb close by. Bike needs a clean first.

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
ok, time for some feedback on what it feels like going from Roady (ish) to Pedal assist E bike. I felt it best placed to put here, ref, it was on here it was asked.
I have done 3 rides so far, recovering from injury/surgery, so just easing back in. All rides are around marathon distance and 25 miles plus. 2 rides during the day, mid day to afternoon, and 1 ride, in the full dark, from 8 pm.

The first ride, the bike took a bit of getting used to, with the pedal assist not working all the time. My main issue is hills, as a road cyclist they are my nemesis and I hate them. Now no more. I found that as you spin up to increase cadence, for how I would normally hit a climb, the bike is less responsive to providing power, I found using a lower cadence gave me more benefit and took some getting used to, The first ride out, was really just about getting me used to riding again and getting used to the bike. I used 50% power for the first ride of 26 miles and 2000 foot of climbing. The bike rolled well, and the tyres felt grippy and sure. Controls were easy to fathom, but I felt the buttons needed more pressure than I was expecting. Although I do suffer from lack of finger sensitive due to my on going condition, so that might just be me. The Lack of MPH display wasn't an issue as I ran my garmin to compensate. The standard handle bar tape is pretty comfy, so I wont be changing it. I normally run Phat Bar tapes, with a suede feel and gel cushioning. The seat... might need a few more rides to be sure. I found the bottle cage to be tight. I need to adjust the position, for an over size bottle. I averaged 14.8 mph.

The 2nd ride was much more determined, and I set my self more of some hill climb challenges, taking on the Rake (a local hill climb). I aimed to see how much battery I could burn in 25 or so miles. I made it home with 40% remaining, staying in sport mode all the way up hills, but dropped to Eco on the flats. I did try and run with out assistance, but with a heavy head wind, the bike felt so heavy. Part of this is me being out of condition I am sure. The ride felt quick and to say I was round much quicker than anticipated, I had an average speed of 16.1 mph

The 3rd ride, was again planned around some known hills and being a night time ride, I had to kit the bike up with lights. No issue, there, plenty of mounting places, with even an array LED zip tied to the seat rails, and 4 forward facing lights, gave enough rear warning and forward vision. There are no street lights in the lanes locally and I drop to 1 LED light when approaching traffic comes.
I found the back light on the display, overly aggressive as it is far to bright for my aero helmet and visor (not a time trail one). I found the ambient light from my garmin lit the screen just enough to show which mode I was riding in.
On this ride, I had some long climbs, with grades over 20% and most around 11%. On one particular climb comparing my time to Standard Strava, I beat the current KOM by 20 seconds, and was over 4 minutes quicker than one of my fastest mates.
I took the bike down some significant drops also, finding the bike stable at speed (over 40 mph) with assured braking.
I was around the 26 miles in 1 hour 22 minutes, with 2400ft of climbing. average speed was 18.4 mph. There was really no need for any stops and I planned the ride to be able to roll out at junctions, so stop time was minimal. I did have issues with traffic, as on some downhill stretches I was on the speed limit, meaning cars were wanting to pass. (Why?). I got home with the battery on 20% remaining, having rarely dropped out of Sport on any road, just on the drops really. And just to add, at this point, I haven't used anything but the big ring on the front. There has been enough range just on the one ring.

OK so, long story short. I love the bike. Its everything I wanted and hoped for. Yes there are negatives, the weight being one. I cannot ride with a group of roadies on the flat, its hard to push the bike along over 18 mph for a sustained period. The bike has a longer wheel base than my previous bikes and it encourages me to get a bit more streamlined and it may take a few more rides to get used to. My back was a little sore, but again that could be just down to a lack of recent miles anyway. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of on screen functionality on the HUD, I was hoping for more, but having the garmin as part of the purchase, has bridged the gap. As for me the next ride is a few more weeks of, I am scheduled for more surgery and doing these rides as this point in my recovery is a little foolish. Time I headed some well motived advice and waited.
The over riding plus for me, Hills are 15 mph every time. I still have breath at the top and legs to push on down the other side. I reckon if I wanted too, and stopped trying to push on, I could stretch a battery to 50 miles or so of mixed riding, using eco or none in the flats, and rolling up hills in normal. With a bit more fitness, maybe even Eco up hills. I maybe purchasing a 2nd battery for my occasional Scotland to home rides, which I could see myself doing in just under 6 hours if I really wanted to. I think the other hidden benefit is this will help massively with my recovery and see me riding my normal roadie more. There was nothing more depressing than going out with a bunch of moderately fit guys and being the fat lad at the back every weekend. Now at least I will have some vengeance on the hills for the first 25 miles. As yet, none of my riding mates, want to accompany me on a ride..... ahhh who cares....