Giant Talon E+1 verses Haibike sDuro Hard Seven

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
Hi folks,

Well as I said in an earlier post everything is a compromise and I'm no different. So having reluctantly upped my price limit I seem to be down to two bikes (unless you know different) Its between the Giant Talon E + 1 or the Haibike sDuro Hard Seven. So does anyone have any experiences with either bike?

Its Crank drive v hub drive I know and I doubt if I will be climbing telegraph poles with either however I am heavy and an old fossil so as Tesco would say regarding power "every little helps" I notice that the Haibike has larger discs 180mm verses 160mm however both are hydraulic so probably I won't notice a difference (unless I'm coming back down that telegraph pole) I can't seem to get the torque output of the Giant whereas on a different thread I've been told that the Haibike with Yamaha motor has 80 nm. Is anyone aware of any significant differences? Price wise they are similar. I would have liked a throttle but after test riding perhaps that's not critical as the more expensive bikes appear to have better control at the pedal than the lower end of the market. That said if anyone can suggest a look at something cheaper I'm all ears.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am heavy and an old fossil so as Tesco would say regarding power "every little helps"
I hope you don't mean that litterally... both bikes are good but not in the sense of shifting weight or letting you rest your weary legs.
Crank drives will always beat direct drives on hills.

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
letting you rest your weary legs.
Crank drives will always beat direct drives on hills.
I realise I won't be resting my weary legs as such but its a case of whether either of them well climb hills with my weight. I guess I'm looking for guidance as well as preferences given that I hope not to be pedalling up very steep hills. I've tested the Talon and was impressed by the build quality and the "easiness of pedalling" particularly how smooth the power came in as the incline increased as opposed to other bikes I've tested that A) I couldn't tell the difference between each power setting.
B) It seems to me that one of them I tried you had to pedal like mad to get up to speed and the power came in to maintain that speed while ever you kept pedaling.

Hope to be testing the Haibike later this week.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
??

My KTM eRace Panasonic hub drive would disagree with your statement...
Your Panasonic motor is awesome but it has a gearbox, not a direct drive.

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
My KTM eRace Panasonic hub drive would disagree with your statement...
This is another one to add to the list - the range looks impressive but the spec doesn't appear as good (at least on the Macina Force which is the one I could afford)

On looking more closely I'm still favoring the Talon or Haibike

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Out of the two that you have shortlisted, I'd go for the Haibike.

I've yet to ride a bike with the Yamaha motor, but I do like the solid look and build quality, plus it has a 'normal' size front sprocket. I'm getting through small sprockets at an alarming rate, and don't see this as the way forward!

You could also ask Col if any dealers still have last years Macina action. (pre plus version) Only mentioned as I hate Suntour forks.

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
Out of the two that you have shortlisted, I'd go for the Haibike.

I've yet to ride a bike with the Yamaha motor, but I do like the solid look and build quality, plus it has a 'normal' size front sprocket. I'm getting through small sprockets at an alarming rate, and don't see this as the way forward!

You could also ask Col if any dealers still have last years Macina action. (pre plus version) Only mentioned as I hate Suntour forks.
I must admit I'm leaning towards the Haibike but trying to maintain an open mind until I've tried both.

Good point on the Macina - I'll have a scroll though the dealers to see if there are any 2014 models (works for the others too) I'm not bothered about the latest models. If I can save a £ or two I will feel better having upped my price limit to meet my new goals......