Giant Twist Freedom CS Review

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
My dad wrote a review of his new bike and asked me to post it for him, so here it is.

Purchased From
The Edinburgh Electric Cycle Company

Price Paid
£1792 (List price £1980 less 10% Presteigne Show discount)

Time Owned
1 month

Local Terrain
Very hilly

Strengths
Top quality bike with very smooth power delivery.
Front hub motor gives the bike a balanced feel.
Instant power in any speed mode or gear obviates the need for a throttle.
Nexus 8 speed hub gear.
Easy to use double battery system.
Extra large sprung seat, very comfortable handlebar grips and excellent front suspension system.
Battery meter is handlebar mounted.

Weaknesses
With both batteries on board the bike weighs 26 kilos.
Front hub motor is not the quietest.

Summary
This is my 2nd electric bike. The first was a Powacycle Windsor, also bought from the Edinburgh Electric Cycle Company, whom I commend for their excellent and friendly service. If I ever thought of buying another bike they would be my first port of call.
The Powacycle Windsor was an excellent first E-bike but after 6 months I outgrew it and wanted to progress to something that would make me work a bit harder.
Before going to the Presteigne Show I had tried out 4 different Kalkoff bikes of differing frame sizes and types and did not enjoy riding them. I don't like the 'swoosh-swoosh' power delivery and was not comfortable no matter how much I adjusted the handlebars and seating positions.
Off I went to Presteigne where I tried every bike on offer over the 2 days and where possible I rode them up the hill near the showground. By the end of the second day there was no short list – just one bike that ticked all the boxes for me.

The Giant Twist Freedom CS (to give it its full name) comes with two batteries mounted on a rear carrier and all but hidden by panniers. A handlebar switch controls whether you are using the right or left battery. It's simple to use and in one second you can change to a fresh battery and continue your journey.

There are 3 power modes: Eco, Normal and Sport and a 5 light battery display, all mounted on the left side of the handlebars. On the right is the left-right battery switch and the 8 speed Nexus gear change.

I ride in Eco mode when possible with Normal used for small hills and Sport mode for steep hills, of which there are many where I live (Argyll coast of Scotland). My longest ride so far has been 37 miles on which the first battery ran out after 25 miles (which I was pleased with given the terrain). I ride the bike most days and at the end of the first month I am very pleased with my choice. At the Presteigne Show I liked the Giant and now after one month I love it. It's the right bike for me!

Happy cycling!

cruiser

Finding my (electric) wheels
Excellent, informative report, Fecn! Great photos too... thanks very much!

You've introduced another possible contender to my own shortlist of e-bikes which at present consists of Kalkhoff (not sure which one yet) and Wisper.

I live in northern Germany near Flensburg which is a wonderful area for cycling, being - on the whole - not too hilly and with an excellent network of cycle paths alongside most of the roads.

I'm off to find a 'Giant' dealer soon!

Thanks again!

Last edited: